[nfbmi-talk] long but important

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 9 02:59:08 UTC 2010

I'm getting all the facility surveys conducted on all of these buildings that have major problems with ADA compliance. Note that BEP operators and MCB and MRS have operations in these public buildings now 20 years out of compliance.

In addition DTMB does have responsabilities over leased facilities to ensure accessability. They know that to in other documents.

Joe
Americans with Disabilities Act

Michigan ADA Summary

for Department of Management and Budget

Owned Properties

File No. 071/06401.FAR

Summary Conducted By:

Integrated Architecture Capital Area Center for Independent Living

Table of Contents Page 1

Americans with Disabilities Act

Michigan ADA Summary

for Department of Management and Budget

Owned Properties

File No. 071/06401.FAR

• Table of Contents

• DMB Project Statement

• DMB Request for Proposal

• DMB Owned Buildings List

• Maps

• Blank Copy of Building Audit Checklist

• ADA Compliance Unit Costs

• Building Summaries:

Building Number Building Name

1 Allegan Plaza

2 Allegan Ramp

3 Constitution Hall

4 Grand Tower

5 Hall of Justice

6 Hannah Building

7 Joint Operations Center

8 Lewis Cass Building

9 Lottery Building

10 Michigan Library and Historical Center

11 Murray D. VanWagoner Building

12 Ottawa Building

13 Ottawa Ramp

14 Richard H. Austin Building

15 Romney Building

16 Roosevelt Ramp

17 Stevens T. Mason Building

18 Williams Building

19 Joint Lab Building

20 Record Center (Building 20 was sold during the course of the audit and no

report was prepared.)

21 Energy Center

22 General Office Building

23 General Service Building

24 Highway Central Warehouse

25 MDOT Construction and Technology

26 MDOT Photo Lab

27 MSP Forensics Lab

28 MSP Hazardous Material Training

Table of Contents Page 2

29 Operations Center

30 Police Training Academy

31 Secretary of State

32 State Police Fist District Headquarters

33 Vehicle and Travel Services

34 Escanaba Building

35 Flint Ramp

36 Flint State Office Building

37 Grand Rapids Building

38 Grand Rapids Ramp

39 Jackson Building

40 Jerome T. Hart Building

41 Traverse City State Office Building

building #34

(escanaba)

buildings #35

& #36 (flint)

building #41

(traverse city)

buildings #37 & #38

(grand rapids)

building #40

(saginaw)

building #39

(jackson)

buildings #1–

#20 (lansing)

buildings #21–#33

(dimondale)

State Owned Buildings Keyplan

building #19

building #4

INTERSTATE 496

GRAND RIVER AVENUE

building #5

building #10

building #7

building #16

building #15

building #9

building #8

building #3

allegan plaza

buildings #1, #2, #6, #11,

#12, #13, #14, #17 & #18

MARTIN LUTHER

KING JR

BOULEBARD

MICHIGAN AVENUE

CEDAR STREET

Lansing

building #32

building #23

building #22

building #28

building #27

building #26

building #24

building #21

building #29

building #31

building #33

INTERSTATE 96

building #30

building #25

LANSING ROAD

CANAL ROAD

INTERSTATE 69

Dimondale

building #34

LINCOLN ROAD

LUDINGTON STREET

LAKE SHORE DRIVE

Escanaba

Flint

buildings #35 & #36 INTERSTATE 475

MARTIN LUTHER KING AVENUE

kEARSLEY STREET

INTERSTATE 69

INTERSTATE 196

buildings #37 & #38

US 131

MICHIGAN AVENUE

DIVISION AVENUE

Grand Rapids

MONROE AVENUE

COLLEGE AVENUE

INTERSTATE 94

US 127

LOUIS B. GLICK

HIGHWAY

FRANCIS STREET

Jackson

GANSON STREET

MICHIGAN AVENUE building #39

building #40

INTERSTATE 675

LAPEER AVENUE

WASHINGTON AVENUE

Saginaw

GENESEE AVENUE

building #41

ELMWOOD AVENUE

DIVISION STREET / US 31

Traverse City

8TH STREET

SILVER LAKE ROAD

Americans with Disabilities Act

Michigan ADA Summary

for Department of Management and Budget

Owned Properties

File No. 071/06401.FAR

Building Name

Address

Survey Building #

Summary Conducted By:

Integrated Architecture Capital Area Center for Independent Living

Date of Building Audit:

Date of Summary:

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 2

ADA Summary

for Department of Management and Budget Owned Properties

Priority One – Access to Building

People with disabilities should be able to access a public building from many forms of transportation.

Approaching the site from public transportation should be moderately convenient and safe. Parking lots

and street parking should also have ample accessible spaces, plus an accessible route to the main

entrance.

A. Access to Public Transportation

A.1. Accessible from public transportation?

Distance to bus stop:

Type of bus:

B. Access to Building by Vehicular Drop-off from Street

B.1. Accessible vehicular drop-off (van or passenger vehicle)?

Distance from main entry:

B.2. Is the drop-off area at least 20 feet long and 5’-0” wide?

B.3. Is the drop-off area relatively flat (1:50 or 2% slope)?

B.4. Is a curb ramp provided at the vehicle drop-off area?

B.5. If a curb ramp is provided, is the slope of the ramp no more than 1:12?

Approximate slope of ramp:

B.6. Is the width of the ramp 36 inches or more, not including the flares?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 3

B.7. Does the curb ramp have vision impaired grooves?

C. Accessible Parking

C.1. Are an adequate number of accessible parking spaces available (8 feet wide with 5 foot

access aisle)? Refer to requirements for spaces below.

Parking Requirements: Total Spaces Accessible

1 to 25 1 space

26 to 50 2 spaces

51 to 75 3 spaces

76 to 100 4 spaces

Number of accessible spaces on site:

C.2.A. Is there a van accessible parking space (8 feet wide with minimum 8 foot aisle)?

C.2.B. How many van accessible spaces are there?

Number of spaces:

C.3. If accessible parking is located in an adjacent garage, does it have vertical clearance of 8’-2”

to the parking space?

C.4. Are all the accessible parking spaces and access aisles relatively level (1:50) in all

directions?

C.5. Are all the accessible parking spaces marked with a sign with the “symbol of accessibility”

that is visible when a vehicle is parked in the space?

C.6. Is the pavement at the parking properly striped and readable?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 4

C.7. Is an accessible route provided from the designated parking area to the main sidewalk (must

be 36 inches wide and have proper slope, maximum of 1:12)?

D. Visible Building Entry

D.1. Is the building signage visible from the street?

D.2. Is the building name visibly labeled at the main entry?

D.3 Is the building name tactilely labeled at the main entry?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 5

Priority Two – Accessible Entry

A building must provide one accessible entry approach to the building, preferably the main entry. This

entry must allow people who use crutches, canes, walkers, scooters or wheelchairs to use it.

Describe entry location at building:

A. Accessible Path to Entry

A.1. Is there a route from the street or parking area that does not require stairs?

A.2. Is the route of travel stable, firm and slip resistant?

A.3. Is the travel path at least 36 inches wide?

A.4. Is the path free from any protrusions or objects that a person with a cane can not detect?

(Objects that protrude more than 4 inches must be above 80 inches.)

A.5. Is a ramp or lift provided to a ramp to gain entry to the building?

A.6. Ramps

A.6.1. Are the slopes of the ramps 1:12 or less?

Approx. slope of ramp

A.6.2. Are handrails provided at 34 inches to 38 inches A.F.F. (only required if the ramp is

6’-0” or longer)?

A.6.3. Is the width between rails 36 inches or more?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 6

A.6.4. Is the surface slip resistant?

A.6.5. If a ramp is more than 30 feet long, is a level landing at least 60 inches long provided

at every 30 feet of horizontal length?

Note: if the running slope is less than 1:16 but more than 1:20, each ramp segment

may be up to 40 feet long followed by a level landing.

A.6.6. Is there a level landing, at least 60 inches by 60 inches, when a ramp changes

direction?

A.6.7. Does the ramp have a vertical edge protection?

A.7. Accessibility Lift

A.7.1. Is the lift in working order?

A.7.2. What is the approximate age of the lift? Years

A.7.3. What brand is it?

A.7.4. Is the lift protected in inclement weather?

A.8. If the main entry is not accessible, is the location of the alternate entry clearly marked with a

sign?

A.9. If there are stairs, do they have contrasting material at the leading edge of the steps?

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

N/A

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 7

B. Doorways and Vestibules

B.1. Does the entrance door have at least 32 inches clear opening (for a double door, at least one

32 inch leaf)?

Actual size: inches

B.2.A. Does the door have an automatic or power operated mechanism?

Location of power mechanism: feet

B.2.B. Is the path of travel accessible?

B.3. On the latch, pull side of the door, is there at least 18 inches clearance provided if the door is

not automatic or power operated?

B.4. Is the hardware (e.g., lever, pull, and panic bar) usable with one hand without tight grasping,

pinching, or twisting of the wrist?

B.5. Is the door hardware within 48 inches of the floor?

B.6. If there is not a power operated door, can the door be operated without too much force?

Pull force: lbs.

B.7. If the door has a closer, does it take at least 3 seconds to close?

Actual time open: seconds

B.7.1. Is there enough time?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 8

B.8. Are all threshold edges ¼” high or less, or if beveled edge, no more than ¾” high?

Number of doors that are non-conforming:

B.9. If an entry has a vestibule, is there a 30 inch by 48 inch clear floor space inside the vestibule

where a wheelchair or scooter user can be outside the swing of a hinged door?

B.10. If there is a vestibule, are doors spaced 7’-0” or more apart? (Verify space between swing

end of door to be a minimum of 48” clear).

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 9

Priority Three – Access to Programs, Services and Activities

Ideally, the main level of a building should allow people with disabilities to enter and use all public spaces.

>From the front door to all locations that serve the public, the route should meet ADA standards.

Building Level:

A. Accessibility to Rooms and Spaces

A.1. Does the accessible entrance provide direct access to the main floor, lobby, or elevator?

A.2. Are all public spaces on the main level on an accessible route of travel?

A.3. Is the accessible route to all public spaces at least 36 inches wide?

A.4. Is there a 5 foot circle or T-shaped space at each horizontal corridor to reverse direction in a

wheelchair?

A.5. Is the flooring throughout the main level slip resistant material, a low pile or tight woven

carpet, or without major level changes of more than 1/4 inch?

Remarks:

A.6. In the circulation path through the public spaces, are obstacles cane detectable (located

within 27 inches of the floor or higher than 80 inches, or protruding less than 4 inches from

the wall)?

Remarks:

B. Doors

B.1. Do doors into each public space have at least a 32 inch clear opening?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 10

B.2. On the pull side of doors, next to the handle, is there at least 18 inches of clear wall space so

that a person using a wheelchair or crutches can get near to open the door?

B.3. Can doors be opened without too much force (5 lbf maximum for interior doors)?

B.4. Are door handles 48 inches high or less and operable with a closed fist?

B.5. Are all threshold edges ¼ inch high or less, or if beveled edge, no more than ¾ inch high?

B.6. Is the door hardware throughout up to date with lever hardware?

If not, how many doors have hardware that needs to be replaced?

C. Emergency Egress

C.1. If emergency systems are provided, do they have both flashing lights and audible signals?

C.2. Is an emergency evacuation plan visible and accessible?

Remarks:

C.3. Is an evacuation chair available?

C.4. Is there an area of refuge designated?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 11

D. Signage

D.1. If provided, do signs and room numbers designating permanent rooms and spaces where

goods and services are provided comply with the appropriate requirements for such signage?

D.2. Are signs and information boards mounted with centerline 60 inches from floor?

D.3. Mounted on wall adjacent to latch side of door, or as close as possible?

D.4. Raised characters, sized between 5/8 and 2 inches high, with high contrast (for room

numbers, rest rooms, exits)?

D.5. Is there Brailled text of the same information?

D.6. If pictogram is used, is it accompanied by raised characters and Braille?

E. Vertical Circulation

E.1. Are there ramps, lifts, or elevators to all public levels?

E.2. On each level, if there are stairs between the entrance and/or elevator and essential public

areas, is there an accessible alternate route?

E.3. Do treads have a non-slip surface?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A (if checked, skip to E.7)

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 12

E.4. Do the treads at the stair have a high contrasting color change?

E.5. Do stairs have continuous rails on both sides, with extensions beyond the top and bottom

stairs?

E.6. At all open stair locations, are the undersides of the stairs enclosed or protected with a cane

detectable barrier?

E.7. Is an elevator provided to each public level?

E.8. Are raised letters and Braille characters used to identify each floor call button and each

control?

E.9. Are the centerlines of the call buttons mounted 42 inches above the floor?

E.10. Does the floor area of the elevator car have space to enter, reach the controls, and exit?

E.11. Can the elevator be called and operated automatically without using a special key or having

to turn on the elevator from a remote location?

E.12. Are the highest floor control buttons mounted no more than 54 inches above the floor for a

side reach or 48 inches for forward reach?

E.13. Are signs mounted on both sides of the elevator hoist way door opening (for each elevator

and at each floor) that designates the floor with 2 inch minimum height raised letters and

Braille characters centered at 60 inches above floor.

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 13

E.14. Is the elevator equipped with audible tones or bells or verbal annunciators that announce

each floor as it is passed?

E.15. If a wheelchair lift is provided, is it in operation?

E.16. Is the change in level from the floor to the lift surface ramped or beveled?

E.17. Is there at least a 30 inch by 48 inch clear floor space on the wheelchair lift?

E.18. Does the lift allow a person using a mobility device unassisted entry?

E.19. Are the controls and operating mechanisms mounted no more than 54 inches above the floor

for a side reach or 48 inches for a forward reach?

E.20. Where a ramp is provided, is the slope no greater than 1:12?

Note: For existing ramps, the slope may be 1:10 for a 6 inch rise and 1:8 for a 3 inch rise in

special circumstances.

E.21. Are handrails installed on both sides of each ramp segment?

E.22. Is the ramp width, measured between handrails, at least 36 inches?

E.23. Are the handrails mounted 34 to 38 inches above the ramp surface?

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A (if checked, skip to E.20)

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A (if checked, skip to F. Restrooms)

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 14

E.24. If a ramp is longer than 30 feet, is a level landing at least 60 inches long provided every 30

feet?

E.25. Does the ramp have a level landing that is at least 60 inches long at the top and bottom of

each ramp section or where the ramp changes direction?

E.26. If the ramp or landing has a vertical drop-off on either side of the ramp, is edge protection

provided?

F. Restrooms

When restrooms are provided to the public, they must be accessible at each level for all disabilities.

Level:

Type:

Location on floor:

Number of stalls:

Number of accessible:

Number of accessible urinals:

F.1. If a sign is provided at the toilet room entrance (e.g. Men, Women, Unisex), is a sign

with raised characters and Braille mounted on the wall adjacent to the latch?

F.2. Does the door to the toilet room provide a 32 inch clear passage width when the door is

90 degrees?

F.3. Inside the toilet room, is there an area where a person who uses a wheelchair or other

mobility device can turn around – either at least 60 inch diameter circle or a T-shaped turn

area?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 15

F.4. If lavatories are provided, does at least one have at least a 29 inch high clearance under

the front apron with the top of the rim no more than 34 inches above the floor?

F.5. Are the drain and hot water pipes for this lavatory insulated or otherwise configured to protect

against contact?

F.6. Does this lavatory have controls that operate easily with one hand without tight grasping,

pinching, or twisting of the wrist?

F.7. If mirrors are provided, is the bottom of the reflecting surface for the mirror at this lavatory no

higher than 40 inches above the floor or is a full length mirror provided?

F.8. For at least one of each type of dispenser, receptacle, or equipment, is there a clear floor

space at least 30 inches wide by 48 inches long adjacent to the control or dispenser

(positioned either parallel to the control or dispenser or in front of it)?

F.9. Is the operating control (switch, lever, button, or pull) of at least one of each type of dispenser

or built-in equipment no higher than 54” above the floor (if there is clear floor space for a

parallel approach) or 48 inches (if there is clear floor space for a front approach)?

F.10. Are all built-in dispensers, receptacles, or equipment mounted so the front does not extend

more than 4 inches from the wall if the bottom edge is between 27 inches and 80 inches

above the floor?

F.11 Is at least one wide toilet stall provided with an out swinging door, side and rear grab bars,

and clear space next to the toilet?

F.12. Is the toilet stall at least 60 inches wide and 56 inches deep (wall mounted toiled) or 59

inches deep (floor mounted toilet)?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 16

F.13. Is the centerline of the toilet 18 inches from the adjacent side wall?

If NO, what is the actual dimension?

F.14. Is the top of the toilet seat 17 inches to 19 inches above the floor?

F.15. Is the flush valve located on the wide side adjacent to the lavatory or is an automatic flush

valve provided?

F.16. Is a horizontal grab bar at least 40 inches long securely mounted on the adjacent side wall 33

to 36 inches above the floor with one end no more than 12 inches from the back wall 33 to 36

inches above the floor?

F.17. Is a second horizontal grab bar at least 36 inches long securely mounted on the back wall

with one end no more than 6 inches from the side wall 33 to 36 inches above the floor?

F.18. Is the door to the toilet stall located diagonally opposite, not directly in front of, the toilet or on

the opposite side wall from the wall with the long grab bar?

F.19. Unless the wide stall is located at the end of a row of toilet stalls, does the door to this wider

stall swing out?

F.20. If there are 6 or more stalls in the restroom, is one of those stalls (in addition to the wider stall

noted above) exactly 36 inches wide with an out-swinging stall door that provides at least 32

inches of clear width?

F.21. Does this 36 inch wide stall have horizontal grab bars on both of the side partitions that are at

least 36 inches long and 33 to 36 inches above the floor?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A (if checked, skip to F.23)

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 17

F.22. Is the surface of the toilet seat in this 36 inch wide stall 17 to 19 inches above the floor?

F.23. If a coat hook is provided, is it mounted no higher than 54 inches above the floor for a side

approach or 48 inches above the floor for a front approach?

F.24. Is the door hardware easy to operate without tight grasping pinching or twisting of the wrist?

Remarks:

G. Ancillary Amenities

G.1. Telephones

G.1.1. If at least one public telephone or one bank of telephones is provided, does at least

one of each type of telephone (e.g. pay telephone, intercom telephone, other

telephone) have the following?

G.1.2. For a side approach (clear floor space at least 30 inches long by 48 inches wide), is

the coin slot no higher than 54 inches above the floor?

G.1.3. For a font approach (where clear floor space at least 30 inches wide by 48 inches

long), is the coin slot no higher than 48 inches above the floor?

G.1.4. Does the phone have volume controls?

G.1.5. Is there a sign at each pay phone or pay phone bank for the shelter directing people

to the nearest TTY?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A (if checked, skip to G.2)

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 18

G.2. Drinking Fountains

Number of accessible:

Number of standard:

G.2.1. If the drinking fountain is a wall-mounted unit, is there clear floor space at least 30

inches wide (36 inches if it is in an alcove) by 48 inches long in front of the drinking

fountain and at least 27 inches high under the fountain so that a person using a

wheelchair can get close to the spout and controls?

G.2.2. Is a standard height drinking fountain available also (36 inches high)?

G.2.3. If the drinking fountain is a floor mounted unit, is there clear floor space at least 30

inches long by 48 inches wide (60 inches if it is in an alcove) for a side approach to

the drinking fountain so that a person using a wheelchair can get close to the spout

and controls even though the fountain has no clear space under it?

G.2.4. Is the top of the spout no higher than 36 inches above the floor and at the front of the

fountain or water cooler?

G.2.5. Does the water rise high enough to be accessible?

G.2.6. Are the controls on or near the front of the unit and do they operate with one hand

without tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist?

G.2.7. Does the drinking fountain have a Dixie cup dispenser?

G.2.8. Is the drinking fountain recessed so that it does not hinder people who are blind or

have low vision and use a cane (protrudes 4” or less)?

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 19

G.2.9. Does the drinking fountain have proper tactile signage?

H. Signage

H.1. If mounted above 80 inches, do signs have letters at least 3 inches high, with high contrast,

and non-glare finish?

H.2. Do directional and informational signs comply with legibility requirements? (Temporary signs

need not comply.)

H.3. Are the bulletin boards and informational signs hung at 60 inches to the centerline of the

sign?

I. Alarms

I.1. Does the facility provide an emergency warning system?

I.2. Is it an audible alarm?

I.3. Is it a visual alarm?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 20

Priority Four – Other Public Spaces

People with disabilities should have access to all public areas of a building. Verify that each public room

has an accessible route and is flexible for all users.

A. Conference Rooms

Location in building:

A.1. Is the accessible route to each conference room 36 inches wide?

A.2. Does the door to each conference room have at least a 32 inch clear opening?

A.3. Once inside of each conference room, are the table and chairs able to accommodate a

person in a wheelchair or scooter?

Remarks:

A.4. Are audio devices or loop systems available?

A.5. Does the hardware to the room have the proper lever handle?

Remarks:

B. Auditoriums

Location and other remarks:

B.1. Is the accessible route to the auditorium 36 inches wide?

B.2. Does the door to the auditorium have at least a 32 inch clear opening?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 21

B.3. Once inside the auditorium, is there an accessible route to a wheelchair viewing area?

B.4. Is the path free from any protrusions or objects that a person with a cane can not detect?

(Objects that protrude more than 4 inches must be above 80 inches.)

B.5. How many seats are in the auditorium?

B.6. If the seating capacity is above 300, is there more than one location for wheelchairs?

B.7. How many wheelchair accessible spaces are there (33 inch wide platform)?

B.8. Is there access to performing area, stage, and podium?

Describe non-accessible space:

B.9. Is there access to backstage area: lockers, dressing rooms, and bathrooms?

Describe non-accessible space:

B.10. Is an assistive listening system (ALS) available?

B.11. Is it a fixed system?

B.12. Is the assistive listening system equipment properly located with signage?

C. Café/Dining

Describe location and type of food service:

C.1. Is the accessible route to the café 36 inches wide?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

N/A

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 22

C.2. Does the door to the café have at least a 32 inch clear opening?

C.3. Once inside the café, is there ample seating for persons in a scooter or wheelchair?

C.4. Are the counters for service at a 34 inch level for proper access?

C.5. Are the tops of tables or dining counters between 28 and 34 inches high?

C.6. Are knee spaces at accessible tables at least 27 inches high, 30 inches wide, and 19 inches

deep?

D. Convenience Store

Describe location and type:

D.1. Is the entry to the store accessible?

D.2. Does the store have 36 inch wide aisles?

D.3. Is the service counter accessible at 34 inches?

E. Vending

Describe location and type:

E.1. Is the entry to the vending area accessible?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Building Name – Survey Building # Page 23

F. Mail Service

Describe location and type:

F.1. If there is mail service in the building is it accessible?

G. Outdoor Eating Area

Describe location and type:

G.1. If there is an outdoor eating area is it accessible?

H. Displays (Museum or Historical)

H.1. Are displays within the building at a height that is visually viewable to someone in a

wheelchair?

H.2. Do the displays have signage that can be used by the visually impaired?

H.3. Do the displays have audible devices that can be used by the hearing impaired?

I. Service Animals

I.1. Is there a relief area for service animals?

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

Integrated Architecture

4 0 9 0 L a k e D r i v e G r a n d R a p i d s M i c h i g a n 4 9 5 4 6 t e l 6 1 6 . 5 7 4 . 0 2 2 0 f a x 6 1 6 . 5 7 4 . 0 9 5 3 w w w . i n t a r
c h . c o m

ADA COMPLIANCE UNIT COSTS

Date: 12 January 2008

Project: State of Michigan ADA Survey

IA Project No.: 280316

ADA Unit Cost – Material only unless noted otherwise:

1. $35 each for ADA room sign with Braille.

2. $85 each for replacing door hardware with lever type.

3. $60 each for plumbing wrap on a sink.

4. $5 each for painting edge on a step lead edge.

5. $220 each for graphic location sign.

6. $800 each for lowering counter for ADA compliance at one desk area.

7. $35 each for Braille sign at each elevator floor.

8. $250 each for outdoor sign No Public Space.

9. $80 each for painting one ADA parking space.

10. $350 each for adding grooved strips in walk at curb.

11. $400 each for reworking door threshold flush with floor.

12. $180 each for exterior sign ADA Access To Building.

13. $80 each for relocating Fire Pull station.

14. $6,000 to $8,000 per elevator for adding audible floor identification at elevator, including labor.

15. $2,600 each for Main Building Entry exterior sign.

16. $70 each for access route sign.

17. $1,350 each for power-assist door opener and switches, including labor.

18. $55 each for one additional grab bar in rest room.

19. $5,500 each for adding one barrier free stall in a rest room, including labor.

20. $130 each for barrier free sign on post.

21. $80 each for replacement of existing exit sign with more visible style.

22. $1,800 each for replacing drinking fountain with ADA model, including labor.

23. $42/ft. for adding ADA handrail on ramps.

24. $90 each for ADA Information Direction Sign.

25. $5.50/sf. for adding side walk at ramp areas, installed including labor.

Basis of Quotes:

1. All materials quoted are for commercial mid-grade products.

2. Quotes listed above are materials only (labor is only included where noted).

3. All quotes are budget numbers based on installing all ADA updates per building unit.

4. Individual items can not be completed one at a time at this cost.

5. 2009 prices quoted will be good for 6 months.