[nfbmi-talk] learning vs. training

gkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 00:29:20 UTC 2010

hi      ,

It is sort of hard to explain but I will try,

I sort of know what Christine is saying. When I was working in rehab., the senior workers always said, well so and so is so well adjusted. Other comments like, well, you don't know that--and you have a masters degree. I see adjusting and living as a different learning experience each day. Sometimes, I walk with my cane and accidently make a turn without knowing it. Well, indeed a mistake was made but I discover a  tall fence that tells me which way is straight and I meet a new neighbor and her kids who explain that the fence covers a great deal of property that I will pass when I go straight to the bus stop. There isn't any traffic to follow.

However,  I have discovered new friends, and perhaps learned that I can have a fence in the front of a city lot. Boy, this would be good if I  decide to get that dog. (I have been going out with 3 dogs each time because of a lack of a door that leads to a fenced in yard.
.
,   When I was five I could not tie my shoes despite my nana buying me this  training shoe. It was big and awkward and I suspect I was self conscious in front of all those adults. When my folks were out in the hay field, I was in the house with the mumps or something like that. A neighbor had brought over this  plastic candy cane shaped container with candy in it for me the day before.  and there was ribbon on it. I had nothing to do when I was sick. I was afraid of some toys little ones usually played with but I played with the candy cane and the ribbon and through experimenting with the ribbon figured out how to tie a bow and was able to  transfer the learning over to my shoes quickly without any help.

 I was always sort of an average Joe. I believe though that you hopefully  get exposed to some good attitudes and decide that learning never stops. People have often reminded me that  no one is perfect.

Yes, I can make a cake. Have I goofed up a cake before. Yes, now I have learned after telling folks about my mishap that these real hard metal   pans work better when you put that special paper in the bottom of them like chefs do. Some people say to grease the bottoms real good but I hate the idea of a  greasy cake.

I hope these examples make sense. I am perhaps as not daring as I used to be  because I have other health problems but I have learned that I can still do things and learn even though it may be by accident or through making a minor mistake.

I had a bad experience at a job. Fred Wurtzel asked me if I had learned anything. Well, I thought about it and indeed I did.  The positive thing is that I remained friends with that staff and met  volunteers that I remain friends with to this day.

I think more curriculums need to be based around discovering especially for the very young.

Well, that is my two cents. I haven't written any scholarly papers lately however, I did write an article about accessible Old Time Radio Convention and Benefits of NFB-Newsline; the latter was printed in the Future Reflections quite a long time ago now.
Best,

Georgia