[nfbmi-talk] this is inforinformative

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 16:14:21 UTC 2010

Hi Chris and All,

Your points are most valid and right on not only for the education or
reabilitation of people who are blind but in educational modalities for all.

I happen to know Bill Weiner and he deply regrets his discrimination against
even the notion of folks who are blind being O and M instructors. And, as
you know I am intimate with Paul Ponchilia who told Weiner that he was wrong
long ago, and who in point of fact pointed out that Western didd inded have
vissually impaired and legally blind O and M instructor students at the
time. It is a fine point here that many were not "totals", but indeed
Western did have legally blind folks in the O and M program during this
controversary and have ever since.

While I was a student there in circa 2002 and 2003 for example I had
classmates who sought duel certification as VRT and O and M who were indeed
legally blind. They did have albinism and could of course see some but they
were legally blind.

Moreover, all O and M instructors at Western and VRT for that matter must
engage in some activities and education under occluders (sleep shades).

Anyway as we just discussed on the phone Bill Weiner is a great man and a
great educator for the very reason that he admitted he was wrong and took
corrective action.

But, back to Heibeck here...She doesn't have any frontline experience or
"training" herself in education or rehab which is in the strictest sense of
the term "re-education).

I mean she hasn't dealt with curriculum development, or teaching even among
sighted folks let alone people who are blind.

She doesn't even have a passing fafamilarity with Braille, O and M, or
anything related to activities of daily living let alone instructional
methods of any sort whether it be behavioral, cognitive, "discovery method",
or whatever. In fact she simply doesn't have a clue and this isn't a knock
per se, but the fact of the matter for her background is not in education or
rehab but, rather as an information technology person and some in general
administration.

These are not bad background in and of themselves, but they are not
credentials for running a rehabilitation center at all. They aren't even in
the same universe let alone the same ballpark.

My point here is this placement is akin to making a high school principle
one who has absolutely no credentials or experience whatsoever in education
but rather say in general business or as a CPA.

Of course going back to basics MCB has a Director who doesn't have even a
college degree of any type.

Now, please don't take me wrongly here folks for I'm not a total stickler
about certification or qualifications (which is another story for another
day), but there should be some sort of minimal standards and indeed there
are, yet they on the upper echelons of MCB are arbitrarily, caprisiously and
illegally ignored.

To wit the least competant rise to the top of this organization period and
pure and simple. That is documented over and over again. It is so ludicrous
and ultimately insane by any standard that I simply cannot stand it.

Cannon has constructed a house of cards that is tumbling down around all of
our collective ears as I write. This is only the tip of the iceberg.

In regards to specifics as per modalities of instruction we have plenty of
room to debate, but I think we all here are of goodwill and good spirit in
these regards. The fundamental issue is the system overall is grossly
corrupted and co-opted. The fish rots at the head as the old saying goes.

And the distorttions in influence in this regards of placing lapdog Heibeck
in your position are only a symptom of an hidiously out of control
state/federal agency which is on a collission course of doom.

Sadly, all people who are blind and all others with other disabilities are
going to be the proverbial "fall guys" when the proverbial **** hits the
fan.

I cannot express my angst and trepidation as to the eventual fallout of all
of this.

My Lord! We the blind and PWD here in Michigan are going to be like
survivors of a sort of nuclear winter after a nuclear holocaust.

I'm of half a mind to encourage a mass migration of all of our stae's blind
folks to somewhere else...Like say Missouri or any place but here in my
formally beloved Michigan.

I am sorry for the hurried digretions and the angst and alarm here. I really
am.

The gross injusticce, corruption and malfeasance literally keeps me up at
night and literally makes me weep.