[nfbmi-talk] mcb state plan final 2007 eff july o6

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 12:47:06 UTC 2010

(Tagged State Plan Effective July 2006)

ATTACHMENT 4.11(B), Procedures and Activities for the Establishment and Maintenance of a Comprehensive System for Personnel Development

The Michigan Commission for the Blind (MCB), housed within the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth (DLEG), is dedicated to having the most qualified staff serving blind consumers throughout the state of Michigan. We continue to as much as possible to hire only those rehabilitation professionals with master’s degrees in rehabilitation counseling or counseling and guidance.

During the past fiscal year we have hired one counselor to work in our Escanaba office. Yet, due to geographic factors (the Escanaba office is in the state’s Upper Peninsula) we were unable to hire someone already CRC-eligible. We are currently taking steps to make this person eligible for the CRC exam by having her take graduate courses to make her eligible.

MCB has established a minimum standard for all rehabilitation professionals who have the responsibility of performing the core duties of a rehabilitation counselor – (1) determination of eligibility for services, (2) – development of an IPE (Individualized Plan for Employment), and (3) – case closure after a successful employment outcome. Each person providing counseling services must be eligible to sit for the CRC exam.  This requires the proper degree or completion of graduate coursework to meet the eligibility standards as determined by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counseling Certification (CRCC) to meet the needs of Section 101(a)(7)(v)(II)(B) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(c).

When we began the process of making everyone CRC eligible, we identified eight staff who did not meet the criteria. One was later determined eligible by CRCC after a more complete evaluation of her transcript, two subsequently retired from state employment, four have completed the necessary coursework, and one has just one more class to take and she will be eligible. We also have two other relatively new hires that have the appropriate degree but lack the required job experience to take the test. Hopefully, they will decide to seek the CRC in a couple years after they meet the time on the job requirement.

Until the fall of 2004 all the tuition, fees, books, and other related expenses for taking graduate courses were paid for by a grant. Since that time, any expenses related to this have come directly from our training budget. In 2005, DLEG adopted a training policy that prohibited staff from taking courses paid for by the State of Michigan. We were able to work with the department to obtain an exception to this policy, allowing those required under the CSPD provision to be reimbursed for their school tuition and fees after they pay the cost upfront.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind currently has 22 qualified rehabilitation counselors managing an active caseload. At any given time, the agency has approximately 3000 open cases, which means the average caseload is well over 100 clients. Other consumers not receiving vocational rehabilitation services have not been figured into these numbers. We also have a few counselors still not considered “qualified” as defined for this report. We also have 4 staff who are “qualified rehabilitation counselors” who no longer work in a position carrying a caseload.

The State of Michigan has three universities offering graduate courses in rehabilitation counseling – Michigan State, Western Michigan, and Wayne State. We continue to maintain a very good partnership with all three of these programs to ensure quality training for students. We also offer practicum and internship opportunities for students. As of this moment, we have one intern in Kalamazoo and expect two more within the next several weeks – one in Lansing and the other in Grand Rapids.

MCB focuses a great deal on the recruitment of students with disabilities and/or minorities. Agency staff are actively involved on various advisory boards for these universities. Others serve as adjunct or guest instructors. We continue to encourage and recruit students to consider working for the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

The table below provides information on the job title, ethnic background, and disability status for MCB staff working in the Consumer Services Division. The agency currently has 11 people who are Certified Rehabilitation Counselors (CRCs) – ten in the field offices and one in Central Office. We anticipate about a half-dozen employees will retire within the next five years. Our current FTE count is 96 and we continue to work with our department to try and increase the allotted number of positions within the agency.

      Personnel Category
     Ethnic Category
     # with a disability

      Rehab Counselors (17)
     11 – Caucasian

      6 – African American
     7

      Rehab Teachers

      (8 VR; 9 IL)
     15 – Caucasian

      1 – African American

      1 – Asian
     6

      Supervisors (5)
     3 – Caucasian

      2 – African American
     2

      Admin. Support (12)
     6 – Caucasian

      5 – African American

      1 – Asian
     1

      Totals (51)
     35 – Caucasian

      14 – African Amer.

      2 – Asian
     16

All consumers of the Michigan Commission for the Blind receive materials in their preferred format if possible. This can be Braille, large print, audiotape, email, or computer disk/CD. The agency also has two staff people able to converse in sign language when the need arises. When necessary, the agency contracts with translators and interpreters to facilitate communication during the rehabilitation process. We have made arrangements with organizations such as the Chaldean Council of Detroit to provide these services when the need arises.

One of the primary resources for training funds is the In-Service Training Grant from RSA. The funding from this grant supplements our regular training budget to provide staff with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide quality rehabilitation services to consumers statewide. By doing this, we hope to increase our number of successful employment outcomes.

The MCB provides significantly more comprehensive training than most other state agencies as noted in the yearly training report. The amount spent here on training greatly exceeds the amount received in the training grant. Due to a high number of retirements over the past several years, we have quite a few new staff that can benefit from the skills development training offered.

The agency is committed to providing the training necessary for staff to effectively perform their duties. Through the use of in-house assessments, discussion with staff, and those issues identified by managers and administrators, we are able to provide a wide range of training opportunities in a number of different areas over the course of a year. We plan on continuing with our aggressive training strategy. One such program has been the Discovery Learning program offered by Doug Boone and Associates. This program intends to improve the understanding and sensitivity of blindness so that staff that have completed the training may be more effective in working with their clients.

MCB continues to support several other programs and encourages staff to participate in events such as the Michigan Rehabilitation Conference, the Michigan Association for the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (MAER) Conference, and the Michigan Transition Conference. Staff are also encourage to attend the annual conferences for the two large consumer groups – the Michigan Chapter of the National Federation of the Blind and the Michigan Council for the Blind and Visually Impaired.

In addition to our own funds through the In-Service Training Grant and Title I, we rely upon other resources for many of our training needs, especially the two RCEPs in Region V – one at Southern Illinois University and the other at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. The support from these two programs has been excellent and we anticipate continuing this partnership for years to come.

One of the best partnerships we have developed over the past few years has been with the state’s general agency – Michigan Rehabilitation Services. Since 2004 we have been housed in the same state department which has made it easier to share training resources, strategic planning, needs assessments, and other vital components of the rehabilitation program. We have also been able to negotiate a different split in the federal money coming to Michigan to increase the share going to the Michigan Commission for the Blind. We anticipate increasing this sharing partnership over the coming years.

MCB works with the three universities providing rehabilitation training to learn of potential candidates for internships and/or hire. This is consistent with Section 101(a)(7) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(a). MCB has hired a number of new staff over the past several years and in most instances, we posted these positions with the universities and received some very good candidates to interview. This involvement with the schools has improved our relationship which, in turn, has increased the number of internship possibilities and the pool of potential hires.

Succession planning, as typically defined, is not possible under our Civil Service system. We cannot identify or hire individuals ahead of time to replace those leaving state employment. Instead, we try to prepare those expressing interest in becoming managers and hope that opportunities will occur at some point in the future. The agency continues to work hard in developing leaders throughout the organization. We hope to become a “leaderful” organization where we have qualified leadership everywhere and in every program. Many training opportunities are available for managers and other leaders. Most activities are aimed towards maintaining capacity instead of adding capacity pursuant to 34 CFR 361.18(d)(2)(iii)(A)-(C).

The Michigan Commission for the Blind continues to recruit minorities, especially those with disabilities. The table presented earlier in this document shows the diversity of our staff. We continue to prepare and retain qualified staff by offering very good working conditions and numerous opportunities for professional development pursuant to Section 101(a)(7)(A)(iv)(II) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(b).

The Administrator of the Consumer Services Division and the State Director of the Michigan Commission for the Blind continue to be very active participants on the Statewide Transition Network Team in an effort to coordinate staff development under the agency’s Comprehensive Plan for Personnel Development (CSPD) with the personnel development under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) as provided by Section 101(a)(7)(a)(ii) of the Act and 34 CFR 361.18(f). In addition, this is accomplished through a number of cash-match agreements that provide for the sharing of personnel and services among the various educational entities and the Michigan Commission for the Blind. The Administrator of the Consumer Services Division works closely with the transition team to develop specific procedures for improving the coordination of CSPD and IDEA requirements for personnel development. These agreements allow for maximum sharing of information related to the needs of consumers and enhance planning for the future provision of services.

ATTACHMENT 4.2: State independent commission or state rehabilitation council

The Michigan Commission for the Blind does not have a State Rehabilitation Council. The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a governor appointed Board of Commissioners.

ATTACHMENT 4.12 (b): Annual Estimates of Individuals to be Served and Costs of Services.

Based on previous experience it is estimated that there will be approximately 2,000 individuals in the state who are eligible for services under this State plan for the current fiscal year.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind is not under an Order of Selection.  Therefore, it is estimated that there will be 3,060 individuals who will receive services with funds provided under Part B of Title I of the Act and under Part B of Title VI of the Act.  Approximately 2,950 persons will be served under Title I, Part B and 60 persons under Part VI of the Act.

Costs of these services are estimated to be $3,849,950 specifically for case services provided under Title I and $123,046 for case services provided under Title VI, Part B.  The total cost for providing comprehensive services under these two programs is estimated to be $8,819,616 including administrative costs, but excluding the cost of operating the Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center, the agency Business Enterprise Program and other agency programs and initiatives.

ATTACHMENT 4.12 (c) (1): State’s Goals and Priorities

The Michigan Commission for the Blind has established goals and priorities to assist in meeting the objectives of the consumers, staff and partners in the rehabilitation process.

MCB has established a goal to increase competitive employment outcomes that reflects increased wages and benefits for the consumers.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a goal of rehabilitating 183 individuals who are blind or visually impaired into competitive jobs in an integrated community. Our focus is to continue assisting individuals who are blind or visually impaired in obtaining and maintaining employment.

MCB outreach goal was established to develop methods and procedures to provide rehabilitation services to unserved and underserved populations.  The agency has procedures to increase delivery of services to Latino/Hispanics, Native Americans, and African Americans.

Another goal of the agency is to provide staff development training.  This training will focus on development of new staff with MCB’s program policies, procedures and practices.  Further, it will provide training opportunities for all staff in order to enable them to meet and to be aware of current knowledge and information regarding the rehabilitation process.

MCB continues to develop meaningful partnerships through dialogue and collaboration with our partners.  The agency has developed cooperative agreements with a number of the community rehabilitation organizations and school districts to increase vocational training and employment outcomes for consumers that are blind and visually impaired.

MCB’s goal is to provide premier technology, training and equipment for MCB consumers and staff for the Vocational Rehabilitation program and Business Enterprise Program.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s Youth Low Vision and Transition program provides expanded opportunities for youths that are in the K-12 school system that are in need of low vision examinations and devices that will enhance their educational and daily living activities and provide opportunities to transition from school to work.

ATTACHMENT 4.12(c) (3): for State's Goals and Plans Regarding Distribution of Funds Received Under Title VI, Part B of the Act

The Michigan Commission for the Blind serves the most severe individuals within the state that are blind and visually impaired, as well as individuals that are deaf and blind.  The agency dialogue and collaboration with its various community partners is local intermediate school districts and community mental health programs to discuss appropriate referrals for rehabilitation services.  The agency continues to seek supportive services from our community partners to expand vocational opportunities for this population.  The agency received $104,071 to provide comprehensive rehabilitation services to the most severe and/or multiple impaired individuals.  These funds will be distributed equally between the two regions in our agency.  The counselors and teacher/ counselors will be able to utilize these funds in the development of comprehensive plans for employment for this population.  Through there collaboration with their community partners, it is anticipated that we will be able to provide services to 30-35 consumers under this program.

Attachment 4.12(d): State’s Strategies and Use of Title I Funds for Innovation and Expansion Activities

The Michigan Commission for the Blind under Indicator 1.1: Number of Individuals with Employment Outcomes, passed with (3).  The Michigan Commission for the Blind has worked diligently with the new staff to provide them with sufficient training that has enabled them to provide timely and effective services to the blind and visually impaired population.  The agency’s strategic plan is to continue developing the staff in order that they will be equipped with the necessary tools and technology to meet the needs of the consumers.  Programs are being implemented to help the staff address the increasing demands for developing business services activities that will increase employer relationships thereby increasing the opportunities for employment outcomes.

Indicator 1.2: Percentage of Individuals Receiving Services Who Had Employment Outcomes.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind failed this standard and indicator by 12.18% (56.72%).  Although, the state of Michigan has made some improvement in employment, job opportunities lag far behind for persons with disabilities, specifically, for persons who are blind and visually impaired.  The state still has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, with about 6.8% of unemployment.  The staff continues to receive training assistance to be more effective in the state’s depressed labor market.

Indicator 1.3:  Percentage of Individuals with Employment Outcomes Who Were Competitively Employed.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator with 56.72%.

Indicator 1.4:  Percentage of Persons with Competitive Employment Outcomes Who Had Significant Disabilities.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator with 99.01%.

Indicator 1.5:  Ratio of Average VR Hourly Wage to Average Wage.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator with 0.627%.

Indicator 1.6:  Difference in Percentage of Individuals Achieving Competitive Employment Who Report Own Income as Primary Source of Support at Closure and Application, the Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator by 34.54%.  MCB staff continues to work with its consumers to develop career tracks that will allow consumers to obtain employment that leads to opportunities for greater compensation for their skills and abilities.

Indicator 2.1:  Ratio of Minority to Non-Minority Service Rate, Michigan Commission for the Blind met this standard and indicator by 0.863%.  MCB’s outreach activities are a high priority to provide timely services to all minority populations.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind conducted a statewide Satisfaction Survey in collaboration with the State Independent Living Council (SILC).  This survey was conducted on all active cases (status 10-24).  The results of the statewide survey provided the agency with information regarding the timeliness of services, the effectiveness of services, job placement initiative and consumer satisfaction regarding the services received.  The results of the survey indicated that the consumers were satisfied with the services that they received from MCB.  The Satisfaction Survey focused on several service categories: timeliness of services, customer choice, preferred mode of communication, counselor/teacher responsiveness to consumers and job placement activities.  In all categories, the survey indicated that the consumers were pleased with their involvement with the Commission for the Blind services and personnel.

MCB’s continual emphasis on the importance of outreach activities has had a positive affect in providing timely services to special populations and minority groups with disabilities (4.12 (d) (c) ).  The Cultural Diversity Committee continues to play an important role in helping to identify unserved and underserved individuals with disabilities.  The committee continues to raise awareness of MCB services to minority groups with disabilities by participating in fairs, community health activities, recreational centers and distributing information packages at mall events.  The main focus areas are:  Latino/Hispanic American, Native American, and African American populations.  MCB is collaborating with SER-Metro Michigan Works! office that specializes in working with the Latino population.  Through our collaborative efforts, job placement activities for Latinos will increase after the staff develops a mean for working relationships.  Contacts have been made with other Latino organizations to provide in-service training to their staff which will encourage and promote participation from these organizations. MCB met with the Native American outreach workers for both Michigan Rehabilitation Services and The Blue Water Center for Independent Living. They were able to share with us some insight on how they access clients for services.  Several staff from MCB participated in a training held at an urban health center for Native Americans.  This training taught staff about cultural mores, and the importance of developing trustworthy relations as well as the need to be patient in working with the Native Americans in the urban areas.  As a result of the staff participation in the training, a number of staff volunteered to participate in a health fair on the weekend sponsored the health center.  Contact was made with the outreach and health center to discuss ways that MCB could provide rehabilitation teaching services to the Native Americans that are experiencing vision loss resulting from the complications from diabetes.  MCB is working with urban schools to promote its programs with the visually impaired and blind students.  The emphasis is to provide vocational information and career development services for students as they transition through high school.  The African-American population continues to be a minority group that MCB collaborates with the community organizations to increase training and employment opportunities.  In one of the urban areas, MCB developed with the public schools a specialized educational program to assist youth and adults in obtaining a General Educational Diploma (GED).  This collaborative effort has produced some positive results; in that, the program is able to give individualized attention to participants. MCB will be working with other urban areas to expand this program.

Michigan Works! (workforce investment system in the state of Michigan) is a statewide employment agency.  MCB in collaboration with the Michigan Works! has developed agreements to enhance employment opportunities for persons who are blind and visually impaired.  The agency continues to work with Michigan Works! to improve access to its programs and services.  MCB consumers continue to utilize the Michigan Works! employment programs to assist in obtaining employment.  The staff of MCB has assisted them with the electronic accessibility and participated on the advisory boards in some instances. The governor’s initiative “Jobs Today, Jobs Tomorrow” is an intricate of the Michigan Works! Workforce Development program and MCB is a partner of this initiative to create and place qualified blind and visually impaired individuals with employment opportunities.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind use Title I fund (4.12 (d) (e)) to develop cooperative relationships with community organization to expand rehabilitation services to its population community.  The Discovery Learning program provides advanced instructions in orientation and mobility for community partners and staff.  This unique training program introduces individuals to the techniques and the need for sensitivity in working with persons that are blind and visually impaired.  MCB has utilized Capital Quality Initiative (CQI) to further develop the staff and its community partners in regards to quality and the deliverance of the rehabilitation process.  Title I funds have been used to expand this initiative. As a result of this initiative, MCB’s Planning and Quality team, which includes community partners, stakeholders and staff, continues to strategically evaluate the practice to improve and expand rehabilitation services.  MI Connections is a transition program that is being integrated into the school districts and a number of communities.  MCB has collaborated with MI Connections and many intermediate school districts to increase opportunities for youths in high school.  The program emphasizes the importance of technology and the application of these skills as it relates to employment opportunities.  MCB continues to support the objectives of the program.

In the initial assessment of the rehabilitation process, MCB provides all documents in an accessible format.  The agency also provides consumers with obtaining materials in the format of their choice. MCB partners with a variety of community organizations, agencies, colleges, universities as well as training facilities to provide assistive technology services and devices.  The Commission consults with employers to make determinations of employment opportunities and assistive technology that is necessary to assist individuals in performing specific job tasks.  These technology assessments are provided to any employer who may express an interest in working with the Michigan Commission for the Blind to provide employment opportunities.

MCB collaboration with MRS in the development and identification of programs that help to eliminate gaps and the provisions of employment outcomes for persons with disabilities have been valuable to the Commission for the Blind in working with its community partners.  The Commission for the Blind partner with a variety of community organizations to provide vocational training for blind and visually impaired individuals.  These community organizations are:  Michigan Career and Technical Institute, Goodwill Industries, Jewish Vocational Services, New Horizons, Peckham Vocational Industries, Diversified Employment Systems, MTB Rehabilitation Services and Lions World Services for the Blind.  MCB purchases services from these organizations for the purpose of assisting its consumers in achieving their desirable outcomes.  MCB continues to work with its community partners to identify more opportunities for vocational training and employment outcomes. MCB continues to work with Michigan Works! to forge relationships to enhance employment opportunities for the blind and visually impaired.  The Flint office met with the local Michigan Works in Genesee County to provide the staff with sensitivity training.  As a result of this contact, the staff at Michigan Works! visited the Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center (MCBTC) in Kalamazoo where they observed and participated in activities relating to skills of blindness and receive additional information regarding technology that used to assist blind and visually impaired individuals in a variety of occupations. The Michigan Works! continues to participate with MCB staff and the Employment Readiness Seminars that MCB conducts throughout the state each year.  The seminars focus on individuals that are seeking employment and in conjunction with our community partners, in particular, the Michigan Works! Employment Program.  This program is an essential resource for individuals to conduct an effective job search.

MCB’s new staff are participating in a placement training program by Building Trust Relationships Inc.  The program focus on developing relationships with employers in order to provide assistance in identifying employers and/or companies needs and working collaboratively to meet the demands of the current labor market.  The counselors in this program acquire skills and knowledge in regards to job assessment, job analysis and job accommodations as well as the specific technology that is necessary to accommodate an individual at a particular job site.  Staff continues to receive opportunities to increase their skills in the employment arena by attending seminars and placement activities provided by the agency, colleges and universities.

The Service Delivery Design (SDD) team is an output of the Planning and Quality (PAQ) team.  The SDD team continues to assess MCB’s programs or ways to improve service delivery.  The consolidation of independent living services and homemaker services is a result of the recommendations by the team to improve overall teacher services to our consumers in a timely manner.

In relation to the use of Title I funds, MCB continues to develop its Business Services program to emphasize the importance of marketing innovative approaches to expand and improve its relationships with the employer community. MCB developed a number of videos that are available for the counselors and teachers to show consumers and community partners the agency services that are available to persons that are blind and visually impaired, as well as employers who are seeking qualified candidates for employment. The Commission is aware of the importance of the services that it provides to its consumer, as well as working with its community partners to enhance employment opportunities and employment outcomes.  MCB’s Business Services program is working with the National Business Alliance Network to promote employment strategies with national companies within the state.  The affiliation with the National Business Alliance Network and MCB’s Business Services program will promote greater opportunities for individuals with visual impairment and blindness to obtain careers in today’s labor market.

MCB staff participated in the Resilience and Empowerment training provided by Rehabilitation Counseling Education Program (RCEP).  This training was quite effective and the staff was able to make use of the concepts provide through the training.  The Empowerment training helped the staff to work with consumers in the development of plans to empower themselves and their job search.  Many of the staff continues to use these approaches in working with their consumers and community partners, thereby fostering meaningful relationships.

Another process resulting from the Planning and Quality team is the Consumer Services Policy Manual revisions and updates.  The policy manual will be reviewed continually to meet the guidelines of the Vocational Rehabilitation and Independent Living program requirements. The policy manual is located on MCB’s web site at www.michigan.gov/mcb.  The revisions also include a Resource List and procedures regarding the programs.  The manual also includes the Youth Low Vision and Transition policy and procedures that outlines eligibility for services to youths.  MCB’s communication coordinator has developed a process to expand MCB’s activities.  Through this office our outreach activities has been synchronized.  We have established contacts with ophthalmologist associations in Michigan, as well as optometrist associations to promote the Commission for the Blind programs and to offer an alternative to individuals that are experiencing significant vision loss.  Coordination of MCB’s activities as it relates to staff participating in community functions such as, vision awareness, health and informational fairs, job expos and other disability programs. MCB’s coordinator coordinates designs and flyers for specialize events and programs, develops and revised program brochures and news releases.

MCB continues to expand opportunities for youths through the Transition programs in the intermediate school districts. Many of these transition activities are supported in part by local match agreements. MCB’s methods and practices that are employed to address the supported employment barriers to employment pursuant section 427 of the General Education Provisions Act, MCB’s current Transition program, that includes the Youth Low Vision program, greatly reduces the barriers for all eligible student 14 and older, including supported employment students.  MCB’s transition services include active vocational guidance with the student and school, career exploration (both aptitude and interest testing), Youth Low Vision services for students in the K-12 school system, skills of blindness training at MCBTC or in their home community and coordination with local school supports for vocational training including job readiness skills, job shadowing, on-the-job training and employment opportunities.  MCB collaborates with intermediate school districts to actively fund job shadowing experiences, identifying and paying for necessary accommodations for jobs, paid and unpaid work experiences, and even permanent jobs that continue after graduation.  Funding for job coaching, and, as needed, direct job placement services, are additional services available for our supported employment students to help overcome barriers to employment.

ATTACHMENT 4.12 (e) for Evaluation and Report of Progress in Achieving Identified Goals and Priorities and Use of Title I Funds for Innovation and Expansion Activities

The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a goal of rehabilitating 183 individuals who are blind or visually impaired into competitive jobs in an integrated community setting during the Fiscal Year beginning October 1, 2005. Our focus is to continue assisting individuals who are blind or visually impaired in obtaining and maintaining employment. The Michigan Commission for the Blind has a strong commitment to create opportunities for persons with multiple disabilities to integrate into the employment arena through the variety of services and supports that will allow these individuals to be successfully employed.  MCB’s overall objective is to maximize individual’s goals, capacities, abilities and priorities. The Commission’s focus is to provide a vehicle that will promote these individuals an opportunity to obtain high-quality employment where wages and benefits are commensurate to the labor market. MCB will continue to provide staff with training in the latest techniques to place blind and visually impaired individuals in competitive jobs by utilizing Building Trust Relationships Inc. Further, MCB will develop and strengthen relationships with the Michigan Works! offices throughout the area to assist in employment outcomes for our consumers. MCB will continue to work with community colleges, universities and vocational technical schools to provide opportunities for consumers to obtain skills that will enable them to secure employment in high tech, health and allied fields. The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s goal is to provide independent living services to individuals that are blind and visually impaired.  The homemaker will be served by the Independent Living program; approximately 75 or less homemakers will be rehabilitated this fiscal year and plans to serve approximately 3,385 consumers overall in the Vocational Rehabilitation program.

MCB’s outreach activities have resulted in increased referrals.  MCB has established contacts with Ophthalmology Associations and Optometry Associations of Michigan to form relationships with these agencies to assist in providing services to individuals that are experiencing difficulties.  MCB has developed working relationships with Centers for Independent Living (CIL) to increase visibility within the community and to make services more readily available to the community.  MCB continue to dialogue and collaborate with minority groups; such as, Latino/Hispanics, Native Americans, Chaldeans and African Americans through various community centers, health clinics, churches, and other community events to inform these groups about MCB’s services. MCB has established a Cultural Diversity Committee to assist the agency in removing barriers to service delivery to minority groups.  The committee has provided MCB with information regarding underserved and unserved populations that the agency needs to continue to target.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind continues to pursue additional learning opportunities for our staff in the area of job development and job placement. The priority to provide training for new staff has continued.  All new staff has been trained in employment related techniques to assist in job placement activities.  This training was provided by Building Trust Relationships, Inc. and currently some staff is completing the second phase of this program which focuses on coaching counselors in the job placement techniques.   In the ever changing labor market, MCB’s priorities are to continue providing staff with training opportunities to equip them with necessary skills to meet the continuous changing labor demands.  The Resilience and Empowerment training provided by Rehabilitation Continuing Education Program (RCEP) helped the staff to develop priorities in working with difficult consumers at placement.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind continues to participate in job fairs at the various Michigan Works! offices, colleges, universities and other community rehabilitation programs. The staff participates in the annual Michigan Rehabilitation Conference where a variety of training topics are presented.  This conference provides opportunities for staff to become familiar with various trends that are merging in the rehabilitation process. Throughout the year, the staff participates in various training programs that introduce methods and procedures in working with consumers with a variety of backgrounds and disabilities; such as, Traumatic Brain Injury, Walking in Two Worlds, Personality Disorders, Denise Bissonnette’s Top 12 Employment Tools, Cultural Competencies – Serving Minority Consumers with Disabilities, ADA updates by Robin Jones from Great Lakes ADA and Accessible IT Center and the MI-Ahead conference.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s goal is to provide thorough and comprehensive training for staff and especially new staff.  The training will provide new staff with the agency’s philosophy, goals and objectives in relation to service delivery.  It will also focus on program policies, procedures and practices.  MCB is aware that such training for personnel is imperative *if we wish to have staff that is equipped with skills and abilities to be able to participate in an ever-changing society.  These objectives will offer staff opportunities to demonstrate leaderful qualities that are encouraged and promoted by the agency.

MCB has developed partnerships with its community organizations, school districts, colleges and universities.  As MCB continues to collaborate with these partners, the agency has been able to increase opportunities for its consumers to participate in the rehabilitation process.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind and Michigan Rehabilitation Services has partners with a number of community agencies and organizations to identify gaps and duplications in providing rehabilitation services to persons with disabilities that affect employment outcomes.  This has been a three-part series that have provided valuable information regarding resources and practices that can diminish these gaps and duplications.  MCB has developed agreements with intermediate school districts, colleges and universities to expand vocational opportunities for blind and visually impaired individuals that will lead to employment outcomes.

MCB continues to have as a priority the development of an effective working relationship with the Michigan Works! offices.  The agreements with Michigan Works! outlines accessibility and necessary adaptive equipment that will encourage consumers to utilize these service centers for employment assistance.  A number of the Michigan Works! offices are equipped with adaptive equipment that allows blind and visually impaired individuals to access their services as their peers access job search services.  MCB continues to work with the One-Stop centers to improve accessibility for our consumers; however, the One-Stops have been limited in providing appropriate technology for blind and visually impaired consumers to participate in their program.  MCB will continue to work with the One-Stop centers to remove these barriers to employment opportunities for our consumers. Through this collaboration, we are co-located at seven locations.  We continue to maintain itinerant staff in several other Michigan Works! offices.  MCB’s participation in these locations will help to ensure utilization of the Michigan Works! services by the consumers of the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

MCB’s goal is to provide premier technology, training, and equipment for MCB clients and staff.   MCB’s priority is to develop and implement a web-based tracking capability for the vocational rehabilitation case management system.  MCB provides a technology training program yearly for staff to become familiar with all new technology that is being used to assist the blind and visually impaired individuals in obtaining and maintaining employment and independence.  MCB has a Technology Committee that provides the agency with updated information regarding new equipment and devices that are being developed that could be of assistance to the staff in carrying out their responsibilities and assisting consumers in obtaining their goals.  MCB is in the process of developing a Technology Center where staff and consumers will be able to receive training on the latest equipment.

The Michigan Commission for the Blind Youth Low Vision and Transition program provides youths with low vision evaluations and devices that are to be used in the educational setting and daily living activities.  The low vision devices will enable the consumer to maximize their residual vision.  This program is anticipated to serve four to five hundred youths yearly.  The Transition program works simultaneously with the Youth Low Vision program; in that, it provides expanded vocational opportunities for youths.  MCB’s agreements with the intermediate school districts were established to develop job shadowing opportunities, work experience and internship programs for high school and college youths.  The emphasis is to assist students in developing the needed skills to transition from school to work.  The Michigan Commission for the Blind’s Business Enterprise Program (BEP) has a Summer Internship Program for youths in high school and college to obtain valuable work experience.  This internship program will serve as a catalyst to introduce youths to entrepreneurship opportunities that could increase more interest in the Business Enterprise Program. The Michigan Commission for the Blind has entered into an agreement with Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind to provide transition services to youths during the summer.  The youths will have an opportunity to participate and experience summer camp.  Several youths will have an opportunity to work as camp counselors, food services helpers and in maintenance for Camp Tuhsmeheta during the summer.  The will gain valuable experience in independent living, socialization, communication skills and employment exploration opportunities.

CERTIFICATIONS REGARDING LOBBYING, DEBARMENT, SUSPENSIONS AND OTHER RESPONSIBILITY MATTERS: DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE REQUIREMENTS

Applicants should refer to the regulations cited below to determine the certification to which they are required to attest.  Applicants should also review the instruction for certification included in the regulations before completing this form.  Signature of this form provides for compliance with certification requirements under 34 CFR Part 82, “New Restriction on Lobbying” and 34 CFR Part 85,  “Government-wide Debarment and Suspension (non-procurement) and Government-wide requirements for Drug-Free Workplace (Grants).”  The certifications shall be treated as a material representation of fact upon which reliance will be placed when the Department of Education determines to award the covered transaction, grant or cooperative agreement.

1.    LOBBYING

As required by Section 1352, Title 31 of the U.S. Code, and implemented at 34 CFR Part 82, for persons entering into a grant or cooperative agreement over $100,000, as defined at 34 CFR Part 82, Sections 82.105 and 82.110, the applicant certifies that:

(a) No Federal appropriated funds have been paid or will be paid by or on behalf of the undersigned, to any person for influencing or attempting to influence an officer or employee of any agency, a Member of Congress, an officer or employee of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress or in connection with the making of any Federal grant, the entering into of any cooperative agreement, and the extension, continuation, renewal, amendment, or modification of any Federal grant or cooperative agreement.

(b) If any funds other than the Federal appropriated funds have been paid or will be paid to any person for influencing or attempting to influence an officer or employee of any agency, a Member of Congress, an officer or employee of Congress, or an employee of a Member of Congress in connection with the Federal grant or cooperative agreement, the undersigned shall complete and submit Standard Form – LLL. “Disclosure Form to Report Lobbying,” in accordance with its instructions.

(c) The undersigned shall require that the language of this certification be included in the award documents for all subawards at all tiers (including subgrants, contract(s)) and that all subrecipients shall certify and disclose accordingly.

As the duly authorized representative of the applicant, I certify that the applicant will comply with the above certifications.

NAME OF APPLICANT:

Michigan Commission for the Blind

PR/AWARD NO. AND/OR PROJECT NAME:

                   Title I

PRINTED NAME OF AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE:

                   Patrick D. Cannon, State Director

SIGNATURE:                                                                 DATE:

ED 80-0013