[nfbmi-talk] rehab counselors

Cheryl Wade wadecher at msu.edu
Thu Apr 14 13:42:24 UTC 2011

Hello, all.

I have read a bit on these posts about rehab counselors. I don't read many
of the posts but I gather there's a good deal of discontent about these
folks. As a rehab counselor trainee -- seeking a master's right now -- I'm
very interested in what you think about counselors. I do, however, want to
pose some questions. I do this not to stick up for counselors, but to say
that rehabilitation is a two-way street. Please don't poke me in the eye too
hard over this.

First, rehab counselors have many duties and, because of case loads and
funding cuts, those duties are likely to spike. Not only do counselors need
to help people find jobs, but they need to take detailed case notes, fill
out reams of paperwork, travel to various places to meet with clients,
evaluate clients in various ways so the counselor knows their career
interests and aptitudes, and ensure our profession's ethics are maintained
scrupulously. If we also are job developers, there are many business and
other relationships (which means lots of meetings) to attend to.

Here are some questions I wish we could discuss:
* What makes a good counselor -- or a bad one, for that matter -- and what
makes a good or a bad client?
* How much help should a counselor provide, and what should the client
contribute?
* Does the presence of a counselor put a client in jeopardy when the
counselor talks to a possible employer? The counselor, ethically, must
mention that he/she is, indeed, a rehabilitation counselor. That signals to
the employer that the client is a person with a disability. Now, the
employer is waiting to see what kind of disabled person will show up. How
does this impact the client's right to disclose that information when he/
she chooses?
* Should a client take a job simply to take a job, or should he/she refuse a
job? Under what circumstances?
* How does the level of computer access help or hinder persons who are blind
when they seek jobs?
* What are ways in which counselors and clients can learn about their
communities so they know where to look for job opportunities?
* How many hours a week should a person who is unemployed spend looking for
work?
* Is it appropriate to seek help from other agencies besides MCB? Why or why
not?

Now that I've short-circuited my brain and a few others', have a great day.

Cheryl Wade
Michigan State University