[nfbmi-talk] rehab counselors

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Thu Apr 14 17:06:01 UTC 2011

Hi cheryl,

Thank you for this post.  It is exactly what we all need to learn and think
about when we are working with MCB, whether our role is advocate or client.
regarding your question about the relationship, I see it that it is the
primary responsibility of the counselor to do the things you refer to, since
they are trained professionals, while the client, oftentimes, bring along a
lot of baggage which will impact on their ability to benefit from the
counseling relationship and related services.  The professionalism is a
tricky thing.  I have an ambiguous view, in that I expect the counselor to
be professional enough to have the kind of tool box of counseling approaches
that you describe and simultaneously have an appropriately personal and
caring attitude toward the clients.

For instance, in the NFB style training centers it is customary for staff to
eat lunch with clients, have them over to their homes for barbecues or other
activities and so on.  Each staff person does these things within their own
comfort zone.  The point is that role modeling and relating with clients as
equals and with respect is part of the rehabilitation process when it is
common for blind people to be treated in a paternalistic and condescending
way by friends, family and others.  The idea of first-class citizenship is
fundamental to my approach to rehabilitation.  My beliefs and attitudes are
heavily informed by the NFB and especially the writings of Dr. jernigan.
"Blindness: handicap or Characteristic" ) here is the link
http://www.nfb.org/Images/nfb/Publications/convent/blndnesh.htm) is one of
the most important documents I have ever read on this topic and, to me, is
fundamental to a healthy understanding of blindness and how it affects
humans.

I sure hope you are able to hold on to your values as expressed in this
post.  Further, I hope we, together, can work to inculcate these ideals
within MCB as an agency and each individual staff person within MCB.

I love this list when it gets down to brass tacks as your post has done so
eloquently.  Thank you.

warm Regards,

Fred