[nfbmi-talk] reasonable accessible accomodations

Christine Boone christine_boone at comcast.net
Tue Apr 19 20:46:34 UTC 2011

Christy,
I would say that the apartment complex does owe you a duty of reasonable care.  In other words, they should take reasonable steps to be sure that their features are all accessible to you.  As for fire alarms, the ADA requires that they have alarms that include strobe lights that flash really brightly.  If these are not bright enough to see, then there are a couple of things that you might do:  purchasing a vibrating pillow is an option, and there is also a kind of watch that you wear on your wrist whenever you are in the building.  This is connected to the general alarm system in the building, so it vibrates whenever an alarm sounds.  It can also be tied into your telephone, door bell and etc.

A good hearing aid store might have it.  The Land Lord's alarm system would need to be made compatible with this watch, but if they did that, then they would be ready for any other deaf or hard of hearing residents who moved in.

I hope this helps a little.

Christine