[nfbmi-talk] Braille is Important!

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 13:57:08 UTC 2011

Right on!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy Shepherd" <ashepherd1 at aol.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: [nfbmi-talk] Braille is Important!

For those of you who don't know, Jeffery is one of our fine young Braille
reading students.  If I am not mistaken he is a High School freshman this
year and it is obvious that he has developed some great Self-Advocacy
skills!

Kudos to Jeffery and his parents for being actively involved in so many
great blindness related skill building programs around the state (NFB, MPVI,
Camp-T, MDE-LIO).

The Quality Education Team for Students with Visual Impairments (QET) will
host it's 3rd Annual Braille-a-Thon on Tuesday June 21st, on the capital
lawn in Lansing!  NFB Michigan has always been great supporter of this
event.  We hope to see you all there to spread the word about the importance
of Braille Literacy!  Attached is an informational flyer in MS Word format.
If you wish to be a Vendor at this event or register a student please use
the information on the flyer to contact me.

Sincerely,

Amy Shepherd
MPVI Secretary
QET Treasurer

On Apr 27, 2011, at 9:18 AM, trising wrote:

>    Braille is still very important, for those of us using it now, and for
> future generations. Students who use Braille also learn
> to spell correctly and to compose properly constructed sentences with
> appropriate punctuation. Technology makes more Braille
> possible than ever before. About three summers ago, I wore out the Whiz
> Wheels on my Pacmate BX440 by reading all seven Harry Potter
> books in three months. I have about six versions of the Braille Bible on a
> Storage Card in the back of my Pacmate, along with about
> forty other fiction books. One hard copy Braille Bible is twenty volumes
> and takes up two shelves in my living room. I would have a
> very hard time storing all of the Braille in hard copy that I have stored
> on a tiny little card.
>    Even hard copy Braille  is more obtainable than it ever was before! A
> book can be scanned into a computer with Optical Character
> Recognition Software, and converted into hard copy Braille using a Braille
> embosser. The idea that Braille is dying out because of
> technology will only be true if blind children are not taught Braille. We
> in the National Federation of the Blind are ensuring that
> this does not become our unfortunate reality!
>
> Terri Wilcox
>

> --

> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbmi-talk_nfbnet.org/ashepherd1%40aol.com

Amy Shepherd