[nfbmi-talk] [nfbmi-talk: Braille is forever!

Christine Boone christine_boone at comcast.net
Thu Apr 28 13:40:08 UTC 2011

Jeff, this is such a great question!
I have thought about it a lot, because so many people have tried to tell me that Braille is dead.  I just think that there is no replacement for Braille.  When I am out, and I arrange to meet with someone, I don't have my computer with me, and I don't yet use my I Pod calendar.  I always have my slate and stylus and a card, to write the appointment down.  Then, at home, I put it into my computer, or wherever else I might need to post it so that I don't forget...now that I am older than dirt you see, it is very easy to forget things.

Besides that, there is nothing like holding a Braille book in your hands and reading it, wherever and whenever you like.  Books on computer, and even recorded books are not the same.  I like recorded books and I certainly use them sometimes, but if I really want to remember what I have read, again Braille is best.  Once my fingers have seen those words, they are in my head.  That just doesn't happen in the same way when I listen to recorded books.

I am willing to make a deal with society: The day that sighted people are willing to get rid of their pens, pencils, writing paper and every kind of book, magazine, pamphlet and sign, then I will think about getting rid of Braille.  I am confident that day is a long way off.  I pray that it never comes.

CB