[nfbmi-talk] Bid for Excellence

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 22:09:31 UTC 2011

Here is some information that is of interest.
Larry Posont
The following announcement comes from Ann-Marie Laney. She asks that
you respond to her by Friday, September 9. You can reach her at
410-659-9314, Ext. 2371 or at ALaney at nfb.org<mailto:ALaney at nfb.org>.

========================

Dear Colleagues:

This year the National Federation of the Blind will be having a
national online auction (using eBay) called "Bid for Excellence" to
help raise funds to support the work that we do to change what it
means to be blind.

Bid for Excellence has the potential to do quite well, but we need
your help in acquiring items for the auction.  Popular auction
items include travel packages; sporting, celebrity, and/or unique
experience packages; and memorabilia and unique items.

Examples include-

 *   A seven-night stay in a beachfront condo, ski lodge, or luxurious
downtown hotel
 *   An "I love New York" package, complete with hotel, Broadway show
tickets, and a romantic dinner
 *   A five-night stay at a Waikiki Beach resort and spa with airfare for two
 *   A golf outing package which includes lodging and rounds of golf
 *   A meet and greet along with tickets to a concert, musical, or
play (e.g., four tickets to see Rascal Flatts and meet the band
afterwards)
 *   A specialized lesson with an expert (e.g., batting practice with
Cal Ripken)
 *   A behind-the-scenes look at a television show (e.g., a tour of
the stage and set for Saturday Night Live or the Daily Show)
 *   A personal appearance on a television program (e.g., a walk-on or
a spoken line in CSI)
 *   Dinner or lunch with a celebrity or infamous personality (e.g.,
lunch with John Waters at Café Hon)
 *   A personally signed item of memorabilia (e.g., a guitar signed by
Tom Petty or NFL jersey signed by John Elway-the more
valuable the item the better)
 *   A rare or limited item (e.g., a bottle of rare wine or a limited
print by a famous artist)

If you have or know anyone who has any items that would be appropriate
for our upcoming Bid for Excellence auction or if you have
any questions or need additional information, please contact Ann-Marie
Laney at the National Center at
alaney at nfb.org
 or (410) 659-9314, extension 2371.