[nfbmi-talk] Fw: MCB Commission Meeting Packet - December 8 & 9, 2011

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Dec 2 21:50:35 UTC 2011

You read it right. Here it is:

APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION AND

COMMISSIONER RATING

PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT PLAN FOR

PATRICK CANNON

January 1 - December 31, 2011

RATING SYSTEM:

HIGH PERFORMING = 3

MEETS EXPECTATIONS = 2

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT = 1

SECTION I: COMPETENCIES

1.         ADAPTABILITY: Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major
changes in personal work tasks or the work environment; adjusting
effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or
cultures.

    APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - Effectively dealing with the
complexities of the new administrations re-organization and MCB's immersion
into the new Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) are
examples of the appraisees adaptability.

     Section I.1  COMMISSIONER RATING =

2.         ALIGN PERFORMANCE FOR SUCCESS: Focusing and guiding others in
accomplishing work objectives.

    APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - Regular meetings of MCB's Planning and
Quality Team (PAQ) proves to be an effective management tool in guiding all
staff in pursuing identified items in the MCB Action Plan.

     Section I.2  COMMISSIONER RATING =

3.         BUILDING PARTNERSHIPS: Identifying opportunities and taking
action to build strategic relationships between one's area and other areas,
teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.

    APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - MCB's highly successful Client
Internship Program provided numerous opportunities to establish and
strengthen partnerships with administrators and managers in several other
state department as well as other private sector entities as well as
providing meaningful work experience opportunities for participating
clients.  As a result of these efforts, several participants obtained
permanent jobs and managers and co-workers at placement locations developed
a greater understanding of the ability of blind persons in the workplace.

     Section I.3  COMMISSIONER RATING =

4.         BUILDING TRUST: Interacting with others in a way that gives them
confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - The appraisee continues to sustain
trusting relationships with agency managers and staff as well as leaders in
various state departments, Federal governmental units, private sector
entities, employers and consumer organizations.

     Section I.4  COMMISSIONER RATING =

5.         COMMUNICATION: Clearly conveying and receiving information and
ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that
engages the audience, helps them understand and retain the message, and
permits response and feedback from the listener.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - Through numerous communications and
outreach initiatives, MCB has spread the word about blindness, the agency
and its services to numerous media outlets dozens of times this past year.
Additionally, the agency has conducted several targeted outreach efforts to
eye care professionals, community partners and others about MCB services.
Internally, the MCB Insight publication is one of the ways to keep
Commission staff informed about events and issues affecting the Agency and
its clients.  One of the communications highlights of this year was the MCB
Achievement Honor Roll Awards luncheon, which showcased the achievements of
MCB clients, employers and community partners - an event which achieved
considerable media attention statewide.

     Section I.5  COMMISSIONER RATING =

6.         CUSTOMER FOCUS: Making customers and their needs a primary focus
of one's actions; developing and sustaining productive customer
relationships.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - Staff throughout the Agency are well aware
of the Commissions mission to assist blind persons in achieving employment
and independence, words which drive our professional staff and agency
services.  Managers and staff sustain effective working relationships with
consumers, employers and community partners, consistent with the agency
mission, philosophy and vision.

     Section I.6  COMMISSIONER RATING =

7.         DECISION MAKING: Identifying and understanding issues, problems,
and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw
conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or
developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with
available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  2 - The objectives of this competency have
been well met.

     Section I.7  COMMISSIONER RATING =

8.         DELEGATING RESPONSIBILITY: Allocating decision-making authority
and/or task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the
organization's and individual's effectiveness.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - The MCB Executive Management Team (EMT)
meets regularly to track issues and challenges facing the agency in its
service delivery objectives and the effective leadership of our managers and
administrators assist in ensuring high quality and daily operations.

     Section I.8  COMMISSIONER RATING =

9.         DEVELOPING A SUCCESSFUL TEAM: Using appropriate methods and
flexible interpersonal style to help develop a cohesive team; facilitating
the completion of team goals.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - MCB's Planning and Quality Team (PAQ) is
the key vehicle in ensuring a successful team approach in pursuing and
achieving numerous items on the MCB Action Plan, which contains several
objectives under four primary goals.

     Section I.9  COMMISSIONER RATING =

10.   FACILITATING CHANGE: Encouraging others to seek opportunities for
different and innovative approaches to addressing problems and
opportunities, facilitating the implementation and acceptance of change
within the workplace.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - Budgetary threats, a new administration
and a new department are just three examples of numerous opportunities MCB
has had in accepting and adjusting to change.  Amidst these challenges, the
agency remains effective in its service delivery priorities.

     Section I.10  COMMISSIONER RATING =

11.   INNOVATION: Generating innovative solutions; trying different and
novel ways to deal with work problems and opportunities.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - High unemployment nationally and in the
state commanded an innovative approach to addressing issues impeding the
success of Commission clients.  The establishment and implementation of the
Commissions Client Internship Program is an example of a creative success
which led to work experience opportunities for 37 clients and permanent jobs
for approximately 1/3 of those individuals, with more successes on the
horizon.

     Section I.11  COMMISSIONER RATING =

12.   LEADING THROUGH VISION/VALUES: Keeping the organization's vision and
values at the forefront of associate decision-making and action.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - The key premise of this competency has
been very well met through numerous approaches internally, particularly the
MCB PAQ Team.

     Section I.12  COMMISSIONER RATING =

13.   PLANNING AND ORGANIZING WORK:  Establishing courses of action for self
and staff to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  2 - The principles of this competency have
been well addressed.

     Section I.13  COMMISSIONER RATING =

14.   STRATEGIC PLANNING: Obtaining information and identifying key issues
and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision;
committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision
after developing alternatives based on logical assumptions, facts, available
resources, constraints, and organizational values.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - MCB's Planning and Quality Team, which is
comprised of MCB managers, agency staff as well as consumer and stakeholder
representatives, is the key vehicle in carrying out the Commissions ongoing
strategic planning and visioning efforts.  The MCB Action Plan is the vital
management tool which assists the Agency in tracking its success and
challenges.

     Section I.14  COMMISSIONER RATING =

15.   TECHNICAL/PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILL: Possessing, acquiring, and
maintaining the technical/professional expertise required to do the job
effectively and to create customer solutions.  Technical/professional
expertise is demonstrated through problem solving, applying technical
knowledge, and product and service management for the functional area in
which one operates.
  APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  2 - With the ongoing support of the EMT and
the PAQ Team, this competency has been effectively demonstrated.

     Section I.15  COMMISSIONER RATING =

16.                     VALUING DIVERSITY & INCLUSION: Actively appreciating
and including the diverse capabilities, insights, and ideas of others and
working effectively and respectfully with individuals and groups of diverse
backgrounds, styles, abilities, and motivations.

          APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - This competency has been
particularly well demonstrated through the Agencies attempts to include
consumer participation in several ongoing opportunities such as the Planning
and Quality Team, the Service Delivery Team, Technology Team, Diversity Team
and the Image and Identity Team.  The agencies commitment to diversity is
evident through the diverse makeup of the agency staff as a whole and its
management team.

     Section I.16  COMMISSIONER RATING =

SECTION I COMPETENCIES OVERALL RATING:

SECTION II: OBJECTIVES

Objective 1:  The Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) conducted its
monitoring review of the Commission in 2009 and submitted its final report
to MCB November 5, 2010.  The final RSA report included eight findings which
require corrective actions by the agency and MCB staff will be working with
RSA's designated liaison on a regular basis to provide technical assistance
in the development of these actions and monitor progress.  The agency
director will provide monthly updates to commissioners on interactions with
RSA and resulting compliance, beginning January 29, 2011 and post final
corrective action plans on the website.

            APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  2 - The objective has been met, with
regular interactions with RSA officials and monthly updates to
Commissioners.  MCB's Corrective Action Plan (CAP) has been shared with
Commissioners, although not yet posted on the website as the document is
still in draft form, awaiting final, formal RSA approval.

Objective 2:  Develop a comprehensive board orientation packet and program
that insures that a new board member understands their role clearly.

§        Solicit information from the board, consumers, staff, and
administrators as to what elements should be included in a comprehensive
board orientation packet-program by March, 2011.

§        Propose a comprehensive board orientation packet-program to the
board for approval by the June 2011 meeting.

§        Implement the board orientation packet-program when ever a new
board member is appointed to the board prior to their first board meeting.

Work with DELEG and DTMB to ensure that each new board member receives a
state e-mail address for board correspondence only within 10 days of a
commissioner being sworn in.

          APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  2 - The objective has been well met,
with orientation for two new commissioners being conducted and process
evaluation solicited and received.  Further suggestions are currently being
sought in order to improve the orientation process for the new appointees.
Commissioners have also been issued State of Michigan email addresses for
conducting commission business.

Objective 3:  Plan and conduct up to three in-service workshops for
commissioners on subjects chosen by commissioners, such as the
Randolph-Sheppard Act, the range of transition services provided to
consumers and/or agency interactions and collaborations with senior
organizations and agencies, Veterans organizations, etc. Presentations would
be conducted by MCB staff and, in some instances, as appropriate, external
partners may be utilized as warranted.  The workshops could be scheduled
adjacent to commission meetings in March, June, September or December to
help minimize costs.

            APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - This objective has been very
well met as we've responded to commissioner requests for in-service
training.  Topics covered include the state budgetary process, the MCB list
serve, the MCB website, State of Michigan email system and Commissioner
Email addresses.

Objective 4:  Work with DELEG to secure a facilitator to continue the work
of the BEP/EOC Ad HOC Committee and facilitate the MCB Planning and Quality
(PAQ) Team through September, 2011.  The facilitator will help plan and
conduct six meetings of the Ad Hoc Committee and four PAQ Team Meetings,
beginning in January, 2011.  Progress reports on the efforts of these two
committees will be provided to commissioners quarterly.

          APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - The department was most helpful to
the Commission, providing the services of Holly Grandy Miller to facilitate
the continuing work of the Ad Hoc Committee through the summer, when the
facilitator role was assumed by an Operator, Rob Essenberg.  Bob Robertson
continues his facilitator role with the PAQ Team as it was determined that
an external facilitator was not necessary.

Objective 5:  Continue the work of the agency's committee to review and
improve staff training, particularly training of new agency staff.  The
committee also includes representation from the MCB Consumer Involvement
Council (CIC), the Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired
(MCBVI) and the National Federation of the Blind (NFB) of Michigan.  The
committee's works includes a focus on enhancing the understanding of
blindness and issues facing blind persons, which is intended to assist staff
in serving clients most effectively.  The progress on the committee's
recommendations will be reported to Commissioners quarterly, with its final
report to Commissioners in December, 2011.

          APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION:  3 - This committee has worked
effectively to strengthen the agency's orientation procedures and is
currently in the process of surveying all individuals who began their work
with the Commission in the past 18 months to ascertain their satisfaction
with orientation procedures and soliciting feedback on the orientation
effectiveness.  Further, as a result of this committees work enhancements
have been made in the training and orientation process for new staff,
including a new low-vision component, self defense and driver safety
training.

Objective 6: Demonstrate strong commitment to performance appraisal and
feedback through the development of goals and objectives and performance
expectations; provide fair and objective performance evaluations; ensure
timely submission of evaluations for subordinate staff and/or self
evaluations.

                   APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION: 3 -MCB managers continue to do
an excellent job of developing performance objectives for all employees and
conducting subsequent performance appraisals.  Earlier this year, however,
the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) issued a directive
to scale back the performance appraisal system to include only supervisors,
managers and administrators.  Consequently only those individuals considered
to be Group 3 and 4 Civil Service employees remain in the system.  Managers
may continue to evaluate all employees on established objectives, but the
evaluation results will not be a formal part of the appraisal system.

Objective 7:  Provide positive direction in the implementation of EEO
programs, such as EEO, Diversity, Discriminatory Harassment, and ADA,
through training and monitoring, in order to ensure compliance with all
federal and state civil rights statutes.  Also ensure that equitable
practices are adhered to in the areas of selection, hiring, assignments,
discipline, and training.  Demonstrate commitment to workplace safety
through the establishment of safety policies, procedures, and safe working
conditions.  Respond timely to reporting requirements for information on
these practices.

                   APPRAISEE SELF EVALUATION: 3 - All EEO requirements of
the Civil Service Selection Process are consistently adhered to as the
Commission hires, trains and/or promotes individuals.  Because of its
aggressive recruitment and outreach procedures, MCB has been successful in
achieving a high rate of diversity of agency staff and is among the leading
blind rehabilitation agencies in the Nation in terms of hiring and promoting
blind persons.  MCB's internal Safety Committee has also undertaken several
steps to enhance the safety of agency personnel, including safety training,
establishing safety monitors in every office, training those safety
monitors, and procedures for safely dealing with blood borne pathogens.
Finally, excellent diversity training was provided for all participating
staff by Dr. John Lee from Michigan State University.