[nfbmi-talk] Fw: what more needs to be said

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 20:07:10 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Kisiel, Lisa (LARA)
To: MCB2020-L at LISTSERV.MICHIGAN.GOV
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: what more needs to be said

May I please ask that when referring to persons with a disability that we first remember the person meaning "a person who is blind, or a person who is deaf".  I am very offended at being referred to as "the blind".  The last I knew I was not a window shade, but rather a person who is vision impaired.

Thanks so much.  I do appreciate it and as we are all reminded so often of being sensitive to rights of others and our responsibilities.  This person first language should be automatic.

Have a great weekend all.

Lisa Kisiel

Assistant Regional Manager

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor

Michigan Commission for the Blind

420 E Alcott

Kalamazoo, MI.  49001

269-337-3238-253

Fax 269-382-6836

Main office # 269-337-3875-254

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU WISH TO SPEAK TO ME AND THIS EMAIL IS NOT ANSWERED WITHIN 24 HOURS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CALL MY OFFICE.  I AM ON THE ROAD AND OFTEN DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO MY EMAIL.