[nfbmi-talk] National Federation of the Blind Secures Court Ruling Against Cardtronics

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:52:17 UTC 2011

Dear Fellow Federationists:
     Here is some information that may be of interest to you.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris Danielsen

Director of Public Relations

National Federation of the Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330

(410) 262-1281 (Cell)

cdanielsen at nfb.org

National Federation of the Blind Secures
 Court Ruling Against Cardtronics
Company Must Make ATMs Accessible or Face Sanctions

Baltimore, Maryland (December 19, 2011): A federal court has found
that Cardtronics, Inc., has failed to comply with the terms of a
settlement and subsequent remediation plan reached with the National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to
make all of the automated teller machines owned by Cardtronics
accessible to the blind.  In an order dated December 15, 2011, the
Honorable Nathaniel M. Gorton of the United States District Court for
the District of Massachusetts found that Cardtronics had not complied
with the terms of the settlement agreement or remediation plan and
that civil contempt was therefore appropriate.  Judge Gorton ordered
Cardtronics to comply with the remaining terms by March 15, 2012, or
face monetary sanctions of $50 per month for each ATM that remained
inaccessible to blind users-giving the company the "Shakespearean
warning" to "beware the ides of March."

"Instead of admitting their non-compliance and promising better
effort, defendants disingenuously claim they have complied in spite of
a plethora of evidence to the contrary," Judge Gorton wrote in his
memorandum opinion.  "The deadlines they have consistently missed
were, ironically, the ones they proposed in the first place."

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind,
said: "It is critical that blind Americans have access to all of the
technologies that are now a part of everyday life in the twenty-first
century if we are to achieve full and equal integration into society,
and this includes the technology necessary to handle our finances.
Toward that end, we reached an agreement with Cardtronics to make its
ATMs accessible, and when problems arose and initial deadlines were
missed, we worked in good faith with the company to come up with a
workable remediation plan.  Sadly, however, Cardtronics has not
complied with the agreed terms of the remediation plan.  We are
therefore pleased with the court's decision requiring Cardtronics to
meet its legal obligations."

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is
the largest and most influential membership organization of blind
people in the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives
through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs
encouraging independence and self-confidence.  It is the leading force
in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind.  In
January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind
Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the
United States for the blind led by the blind.  Please visit our Web
site: www.nfb.org.