[nfbmi-talk] If you Had 20 million Dollars, What Would You Do To help blind People Get a Job?

Tonya Smith tonyasmith75 at live.com
Sun Feb 27 22:36:02 UTC 2011

Hi Fred, this is Tanya.  You know actually I've been in a situation where, I have been, well, and I guess that I had a rehab counselor, actually it was a job coach.  She told me that not many companies will hire blind people and I say "Why?"  and she said because they don't know how to deal with them.  And they don't want them to become a safety hazard or having to watch out for them and most work places are not laid out in a way where the blind person could easily get around successfully.  You know, because I used to work in two jobs and it was pretty easy for me to get around, but she said well that's because your mom helped you and she used to work at one of those places in Bangor, Michigan and so she was a big help to me, but I guess the job coach is right that most places are not geared towards blindness and how to deal and the lay out and the patience for that matter.

Tonya Smith sent you this voice-to-text generated email using Voice on the Go.
To listen, click on the voice message link or open the attachment.
http://vemail2.whitelabelapp.net:8080/enterprise/Recordings/eAqGFIVQ-20110227-1714.wav