[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Partial Funding Secured to Restore NFB-NEWSLINE inMichigan

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Thu Jan 6 00:58:30 UTC 2011

Awesome. But Michiganites?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Posont" <president.nfb.mi at gmail.com>
To: "nfbmi List" <nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 3:59 PM
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] Fw: Partial Funding Secured to Restore NFB-NEWSLINE
inMichigan

----- Original Message -----
From: White, Scott
To: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 2:21 PM
Subject: Partial Funding Secured to Restore NFB-NEWSLINE in Michigan

Hello Larry,

Please find below and attached a copy of the press release that was sent out
on the Michigan wire today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Larry Posont, President

(313) 271-3058 (Home)

E-mail: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com

Partial Funding Secured to Restore NFB-NEWSLINE® in Michigan

NFB-NEWSLINE® to Resume Service Temporarily with Financial Support
 from the Michigan Commission for the Blind

Dearborn Heights, Michigan (January 5, 2011): The National Federation of the
Blind of Michigan is pleased to announce that partial funding has been found
for NFB-NEWSLINE®-the free service that provides independent access by blind
and print-disabled people to hundreds of local and national publications and
job and TV listings-to temporarily restore service in Michigan as of today.
The $20,000 in partial funding provided by the Michigan Commission for the
Blind will continue the service, which helps enable print-disabled
Michiganites to access the news they need to succeed in work, school, and
community life, for several months.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind (NFB),
said: "We are pleased that we can restore NFB-NEWSLINE® to blind people in
Michigan with this funding.  This vital service­­­­­, which offers the blind
and other print-disabled people unprecedented, round-the-clock access to
news and information, continues to grow, regularly adding new publications
and new features.  We remain hopeful that the additional $60,000 of funding
needed to support the service for the rest of the year can be found."

Larry Posont, president of the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan,
said: "Due to budgetary issues discovered earlier this year, it was
understood that we would be unable to continue offering NFB-NEWSLINE® to
blind and print-disabled individuals in Michigan.  I am delighted to learn
of the finding of funds that will support NFB-NEWSLINE® in our fair state,
which will in turn support members of the blind community in all the roles
they play.  The discovery of $20,000, allowing for several months of this
important service, is certainly good news, and I am eager to do what I can
to ensure continued service provision in the future once this funding runs
out.  I wish to hear from anyone with ties to foundations offering grant
opportunities or to other revenue sources."

NFB-NEWSLINE® allows those who cannot read conventional newsprint due to a
visual or physical disability to access newspapers and magazines by download
to a digital talking-book player, over the telephone, or on the Web.
NFB-NEWSLINE® offers over three hundred newspapers and magazines and is
available 24 hours a day.  In addition to offering national newspapers such
as the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and USA Today, NFB-NEWSLINE®
offers over twenty-five prominent magazines, including the Smithsonian,
Time, Rolling Stone, Popular Science, and Wired.  NFB-NEWSLINE® offers
several Michigan-specific papers in addition to the Michigan Associated
Press feed; these include the Detroit Free Press, the Flint Journal, and The
Mining Journal.  Additionally, NFB-NEWSLINE® offers a new job-listings
feature that allows subscribers to search through hundreds of thousands of
job listings from all across the country by category and keyword, and will
be of substantial help to reduce the estimated 70 percent unemployment rate
among the blind.

To learn more about NFB-NEWSLINE®, please visit www.nfbnewsline.org.  Those
interested in subscribing to the service may fill out the online application
form, write to nfbnewsline at nfb.org, or call (866) 504-7300.  In order to be
eligible for NFB-NEWSLINE®, an individual must be a US resident who is
legally blind or has a physical or learning disability that prevents the
independent reading of newspapers.

###

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.  It is the leading force in the blindness field today and
the voice of the nation's blind.  In January 2004 the NFB opened the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and
training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.