[nfbmi-talk] Blind mechanic fixes machines by touch, sound

J.J. Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Wed Jan 19 21:28:10 UTC 2011

>From WWMT
        PORTAGE, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Sometimes a disability is a wall blocking a person
from doing something, sometimes it's simply a hurdle to be jumped, as is the case
for a business owner in Portage.
Some people can look at a broken snow blower all day and not know how to fix it.
Then, there's Steve Scott.
He can't look at the snow blower but absolutely can fix it.
You can see the gears are turning in Steve Scott's head as he gets a feel for what's
wrong with the snow blower he's working on.
"I don't know what it looks like but if you feel it, you can see they're all worn
right there in the center," Scott said, talking about the machine's gears.
This is how Scott diagnoses his patient, by touch and sound alone.
"I am totally blind. I was born with congenitive glaucoma," said Scott. "You guys
would call it a visual inspection, but I feel the machine, make sure the cables aren't
frayed or broken, inspect the belts, make sure they're not dry-rotted or cracked.
"Then you start the engine up. You can listen to it and just tell by the way it's
running if something is not right."
It's not exactly the way most mechanics do things.
"They just look at it and say that's fine. I don't have that luxury. I can't guess
and can't assume. I don't know if it's a sixth sense or what it is. I'm not sure,"
said Scott.
Scott started 'Something for all Seasons' a few years back with his wife, Rhonda,
who is also blind.
"I had a condition called retinal blastoma, which in a nut shell is cancer of the
retinas," said Rhonda.
"Rhonda is the big backbone behind this business," said Scott.
"My role is filing the customer interaction," said Rhonda.
she uses a brailer and a screen reader to do her work.
She says business is a little slow right now.
"Right now, we're waiting for a big snow to draw some business. but normally business
is good," said Rhonda.
Steve says business is normally good because customers, though sometimes surprised
at first, see the quality of his work and trust him.
And it's their confidence in him that helps Steve push to make his business successful
and one of many things give him a positive outlook on life.
"I love what i do. I look forward to getting up every morning," he said. "It doesn't
matter if you're blind, deaf, cripple doesn't matter your color, creed, where you
come from - if you want something in life, go get it."
You can find more information about Something for all Seasons at their website
http://www.somethingforallseasons.com/