[nfbmi-talk] Fw: How I See?" in New Documentary

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:13:29 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Larry Posont" <president.nfb.mi at gmail.com>
To: "Larry Posont" <president.nfb.mi at gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2011 10:53 AM
Subject: How I See?" in New Documentary

CAN YOU SEE PRESS Final 1-12.pdf
 MEDIA ALERT

Director/Producer Keith Famie Asks "Can You See How I See?" in New Documentary

On Saturday, January 29, 2011 nine-time Emmy-winning Director/Producer Keith Famie will introduce at the Birmingham

8 Theatre in Birmingham the premiere of his new documentary Can You See How I See?

The 110-minute film, which took nearly four years to produce, follows Captain Ivan Castro - who was blinded by a

mortar round in Iraq in 2006 and is the only blind Special Forces officer to serve in active duty with the US Army - as he

continues to serve his country as a part of Fort Bragg, mentoring soldiers with life-changing injuries and completing

athletic feats many sighted individuals may never try: running the NYC Marathon, competing in a triathlon and climbing a

14,500 foot mountain in Colorado.

Can You See How I See? introduces 16-year-old Jordyn Castor, a student born blind, on her first day of high school and

competing in the National Braille Challenge in Los Angeles. George Wurtzel, a 56-year-old carpenter displays

craftsmanship that rivals pieces created by sighted woodworkers. Two leader dog recipients from Santiago, Chile share

their journey to obtain their sight companions and be trained by Leader Dogs for the Blind in Rochester, Mich., from the

day they arrive in Michigan to their trip back to Santiago with their new guide dogs. The film also showcases Camp

Tuhsmeheta, a children's camp for the blind; ophthalmologist Michael Trese, M.D.; artist Sadashi Inuzuka from the

University of Michigan art department; musicians Blind Boys of Alabama; and blind business leaders.

Captain Ivan Castro, will journey from Fort Bragg, N.C. to introduce the documentary and speak about what it is like to be

blind in the armed forces and coming to grips with learning he would be blind for the rest of his life.

WHERE: Birmingham 8 Theatre, 211 S. Old Woodward Ave., Birmingham

WHEN: Saturday, January 29, 2011

7 p.m.

WHO:

. Captain Ivan Castro, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Ft. Bragg, the only blind officer to serve on

active duty with Special Forces

. Commanding Officer to be named from Ft. Bragg

Jordyn Castor, blind 16-year-old high school student

. Keith Famie, director/producer of Can You See How I See?

. CEO/ President of Leader Dogs For the Blind Greg Grabowski

MORE: Tickets are $20 per person. Call 248-869-0096 to reserve seats. Space is limited. Checks should be

mailed to Visionalist Entertainment Productions, 28345 Beck Rd., Suite 404, Wixom, MI 48393, made

payable to Opportunities Unlimited for the Blind, a 501(c)3 organization.

Can You See How I See? will premiere on Detroit Public Television in March 2011 and be submitted into the national film

festival circuit. For more information and updates on Can You See How I See?, visit www.CanYouSeeHowISee.com.

Emmy Award winning editor Nick Hryck of Digital Image edited this film.

Film Sponsors: Leader Dogs for the Blind, 9Line, American House Senior Living Communities, Digital Image Studios,

Lakeshore Engineering Services Inc., Norman Yatooma & Associates, ROPARD, Toni Wisne-Sabina and Steve Sabina,

Wright & Filippis.