[nfbmi-talk] comments by jeanette brown cap

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 15:59:04 UTC 2011

Overall comment:  I enjoyed reviewing the State Plan, it is very clear and concise. The readability of the Plan is very much appreciated.  I only have a few comments, listed below, that are more suggestions than anything.

4.7(b)(3)

One item I like about the MRS plan is that they list all of their third party agreements under this section by the name of the agency the agreements are with.  I like the transparency of the list of names.

4.8(b)(1)

Do you still have an agreement with Michigan Commission on Disability Concerns (MCDC)?  If so, you may want to take MRS out of the statement because they indicate they no longer have an agreement at this point since MCDC has moved to another department.  As far as I know, they are also not running the Youth Leadership Forum this year so you may want to consider whether you should take that information out as well.

The last paragraph where you are talking about agreements with MSU are talking about two separate things, you may want to more clearly define them.  You mention the Comprehensive Statewide Needs Assessment (CSNA) then you mention the CSPD which you have not defined, but I assume means the Comprehensive Statewide Personnel Development or something similar.

4.8(b)(4)

Under the text it states “This screen has never been updated”. Are you indicating that MCB has never updated that page since the amendments were passed and the last big plan was written?

4.10

Since you are in a new department, does this text box need to reflect that in the narrative?  You mention DELEG, but you are now part of LARA.  The last sentence in the text box is incomplete.  *Just an aside: If you are starting to experience staffing issues, this would be one of the resource issues that could indicate MCB should begin looking at the possibility of Order of Selection.

In the table under #2, I would think that both MCB and MRS numbers about the graduate programs would match.  I am going to email MRS as well, but I would hope that both agencies could talk and determine who has the correct numbers.

Under the “Personnel Standards” section there is a paragraph that starts “Of the 17 counselors…”, then two paragraphs down there is a paragraph that starts “During FY10 we had 21 qualified rehabilitation counselors…”  It’s confusing as to whether you have 17 or 21 counselors, this needs to be clarified.

4.11(a)

I don’t see any mention of the 2011 CSNA.  At what point do you plan to start using the 2011 CSNA to inform the State Plan?

4.11(b)

Could you reference where you came up with the numbers you mentioned in this section?