[nfbmi-talk] Off Topic/ Funny Thing Happened...

Marcus Simmons MarcusSimmons at comcast.net
Mon Jun 6 21:02:01 UTC 2011

   Remember when Bank of America tried to repossess the wrong house? Or when they foreclosed on a home that was already paid off? Or how about the ones they foreclosed on that were paid for with cash?
One couple, victims of the last mess on the list, has managed to turn the tables. and foreclose on Bank of America.

Attorney Todd Allen: "I'm leaving the building with either cash, a check or a whole lot of furniture."

On Friday, attorney Todd Allen showed up with two sheriff's deputies at a Bank of America branch in Naples, Fla. He represents a couple who bought their house from Bank of America (BoA) for cash in 2009.

BoA foreclosed on the paid-up house in 2010. BoA dropped the case two months later, but only after the couple incurred $2,534 in legal fees. BoA dragged its feet - even after a judge ordered the bank to pay the fees. So Allen won a court order allowing deputies to come in and seize the bank branch's furniture on behalf of his clients.

Hence, the standoff Friday.

After an hour's discussion, the bank handed over a check rather than surrender some desks and chairs that the homeowners would have had to unload in a yard sale for a loss anyway.

"I don't know of any other way we could have done it," says Allen. Heh.