[nfbmi-talk] Fw: call for enforcement of ada

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 18:14:25 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: Donna Rose
To: joe harcz Comcast ; nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org
Cc: Joe Sibley MCBVI Pres. ; Charis Austin ; casey354 at sbcglobal.net ; Michael Geno ; Elmer Cerano MPAS ; TOM MASSEAU MPAS ; Jeanette Brown MI CAP ; Richard Bernstein Esq ; Jo Anne Pilarski MCB, Chair ; Larry Posont ; lydia schuck ; John Scott MCB, Commissioner ; Fred Wurtzel ; Terry Eagle ; Patrick Cannon ; Mark Eagle
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: call for enforcement of ada

Joe, H.,

Your message is right.  I want the government to follow all its civil rights and other laws.  Our previous resolution needs to be redistributed and I will work on that.  MCBVI often addresses governmental issues by way of distribution of resolutions, letter writing and by phone, but not always in public forums.

You need to be aware that the leadership of MCBVI are busy working to make a living and our time is limited as a result.  We are out grabbing the American Dream and so we must prioritize some of the issues you raise and develop ways to bring about positive changes as efficiently as possible.  We believe empowerment and adequate preparation lead to opportunity, so we are always helping individuals along the path to personal success.

I have lived my whole life without proper accommodations, and although I want braille signage and other accommodations, I must prioritize those violations which are the most important to me.  There just isn't enough time in each day to tackle every issue when a person works.

You know I have filed civil rights complaints many times as related to higher ed and fair housing and have won in all cases.  But filing complaints is a cumbersome and lengthily process.  I have learned there are often more efficient ways to get what we want and need.

Did it ever occur to you instead of filing complaints all over the place that you ask the current governor diplomatically for a separate part time ADA Coordinator?  A person who could dedicate his/her whole time to this effort would be very helpful.  With your vast understanding of accessibility laws you should consider applying for such a position.

In Addition, I would like to mention the following to you.  You might want to think about why we are having MCB meetings in secured buildings now.  Could it be that MCB staff feel physically threatened by some of the audience behavior and the way comments are made?  For example, at the last meeting you said something about being a member of the Blind Rifle Association.  You may have meant this jokingly, but the obsessive tone of your comments is often so angry people begin to wonder about your intent and feel threatened, including me.  It is very off-putting and unprofessional to have individuals yelling during public comments or shouting during the meetings.  MCB Commission meetings are for the purpose of conducting business, which should be related to issues of blindness rehab and job acquisition.  Whether Pat Cannon is the ADA Coordinator, or not, has nothing to do with these meetings unless it is on the agenda.

Each of these people are civil servants, and the Commissioners are volunteers.  They aren't necessarily our enemies, just human beings trying to do the best job they know how to do.  In order to help them understand when they make mistakes, we have to keep our cool so they will listen.

Joe, we all get very angry at the politics in government, but harnessing that anger properly will make more of a lasting impression when dealing with bureaucrats.  Otherwise you lose your creditability and then, even when you are right, no one listens.  You are too intelligent to allow this to happen to you.

I hope you will accept these comments in the spirit of unity in which they are extended for the good of the entire cause.

Go Bravely,
Donna Rose, LMSW

Shiny Paper Is the Enemy!