[nfbmi-talk] Fw: state plan comments

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 27 14:22:05 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: joe harcz Comcast
To: gastond at michigan.gov
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 7:49 AM
Subject: state plan comments

June 27, 2011

Comment on alternate modes of communication for MCB State Plan update:

I am commenting on the obligation cited after signature line here on the requirements to effectively communicate in a timely manner with consumers. I have documented over years the abject failure to effectively communicate in accordance with the ADA and Section 504 by this agency. It is even denoted in the 2008 so-called consumer satisfaction survey that a substantial proportion of consumers who had their cases closed "successfully" did not receive any information in alternate format. That means they didn't even receive their IPE.

Moreover, I've documented even up to the present where MCB including the Director and other key personnel do not even provide accessible information to blind advocates, members of the public and even blind commissioners relative to this State plan and other activities itself information in a timely and accessible manner.

This is the Michigan Commission for the Blind and these violations constitute a pattern and practice of knowing and most willful violations.

Sincerely,

Paul "Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Personnel to Address Individual Communication Needs

Describe how the designated state unit has personnel or obtains the services of other individuals who are able to communicate in the native language of

applicants or eligible individuals who have limited English speaking ability or in appropriate modes of communication with applicants or eligible individuals.

All consumers of MCB are entitled to receive materials in their preferred format when possible. Typically the options include Braille, large print, email,

CD, or tape. The agency continues to put all of our brochures and several other documents on the MCB website in a format accessible by anyone with a computer.

MCB had two staff in our deaf-blind unit and one person at the Training Center capable of communicating in sign language. The agency has the ability to

obtain interpreters and translators when necessary in order to expedite services, as well as to facilitate communication. MCB has utilized various organizations

such as the Chaldean Council of Detroit as a source for translator services.