[nfbmi-talk] Fw: questions about question 25

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 15:16:54 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: joe harcz Comcast
To: Jo Anne Pilarski MCB, Chair
Cc: Larry Posont ; Geri Taeckens ; John Scott MCB, Commissioner ; lydia schuck
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 10:15 AM
Subject: questions about question 25

Observations on Question 25

March 9, 2011

Colleagues and Citizens,

On March 1, 2011 Patrick Cannon finally remitted to NFB MI President Larry Posont the written responses to questions issued to Cannon at the October, 2010 NFB MI state convention. President Posont issued them right away to the NFB MI list serve. Now, I wish to comment on the following question and so-called answer

“Question 25

Pat, how can you sleep at night, knowing that during the first 3 quarters of fiscal year 2010, MCB spent 130% of the budgeted amount

for administrative salaries and wages; and during the same time period, you spent just 2% of the available funds for services to the

older blind?

Pat's Response

The data presented in this question is not accurate and a more comprehensive picture of Commission services and expenditures can be

found in our 2010 Annual Report which can be accessed on the MCB website.:”

Well here are the figures quoted in the MCB internal operating budget I received last year through a Michigan Freedom of Information Act request that are relevant to this question and answer (Please see the attachment for the entire operating budget as I received it):

“MICHIGAN COMMISSION FOR THE BLIND

FY 2009 - 2010

INTERNAL OPERATING BUDGET FOR ADMINISTRATION

Through July, 2010

SALARIES AND WAGES

$603,694

$784,655

130%”

Now look at the information in the same operating budget quoted here for “independent living” expenditures through the same period, or what is dubbed “older blind” here:

“ARRA - OLDER BLIND

$1,187,077

$471

0%

ARRA - PART B

$156,528

$3,148

2%”

Aside from taking six months to respond in this remarkably glib, and facile manner there are several questions brought to light by Cannon’s so-called response. One, is that if this data is “incorrect” as Cannon contends and it came from the agency then isn’t there an obvious issue with reliability of financial data supplied by MCB here under his very own direction? Or, does this belie, and support my contention that Director Cannon really doesn’t have a clue in regard to budgeting, hard facts, and hard numbers? In other words is he challenging the report of his own subordinates here, or does he simply not acknowledge how funds are expended and accounted for; or does he just make things up as he goes along, and then insinuate that the questioner was inaccurate, or lying?

His reference to the MCB 2010 Annual Report (again see attachment) is another dodge, deflection and diversion. As anyone who can read will note the Annual Report does not address in any manner the question and expenditures that formed the basis of this simple inquiry. In fact, the Annual Report is extremely devoid of any financial data whatsoever and at best is nothing more than an extended press release. Regardless it doesn’t answer in the least the question that was asked.

Now, I ask one an all to follow the money. Simply follow the money.

Let us advocates and citizens demand full disclosure to just how MCB is being run and just how public dollars are spent. Let us stop relying upon “spin”, diversions, doges, slight of hand and fabrications, but rather let us rely on hard numbers here. If a BEP operator dealt with money and figures in such a manner he, or she would have long ago been rightfully sanctioned. Should we citizens of this State and country demand less from the Director of the Michigan Commission for the Blind?

Sincerely,

Joe Harcz

(See file attachmentsJ