[nfbmi-talk] LCC Angel Replacement Information

peter at peterzaremba.com peter at peterzaremba.com
Sun Mar 13 20:30:44 UTC 2011

Kim,

Out of the 4 Learning Management Systems (LMS) being considered by LCC,
the only one I have used is MOODLE. The good news is that MOODLE is
very accessible and I think it works pretty well with screen reader
technology. Personally, I think it works better than Black Board which
is very expensive for a school to purchase. MOODLE is an open source
LMS which means anyone can download the software for free and install it
on their server. We use MOODLE in Oakland County for all of our online
classroom content. Oakland University also uses MOODLE. There is a
blind student at OU that I have spoken to and she uses MOODLE every day
with great success.
When you login to your personal MOODLE account you want to change your
preferences and set edit boxes to use plain text instead of HTML. You
will also want to check the option that says I am using a screen reader.
Save those options and I think just about everything will work with
your screen reader. I would like to see the NFB review and certify
MOODLE like they did for Black Board, but since it is a free product
with development supported by schools and universities, I don't know
that the NFB would pursue the certification process because there is no
single company to pay the certification fee.

Thanks,
Peter