[nfbmi-talk] November 17, 2011 Minutes,

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 28 19:08:28 UTC 2011

National Federation of the Blind of Michigan Board Meeting

November 17, 2011 Minutes,

Quorum Terri Wilcox, Nick Wilcox, Mike Powell, Christine Boone, Mary Wurtzel, Melinda Latham, Dave Robinson and Sarah Norwood.

The Agenda was approved.

Secretary's Report, Terri Wilcox. Dave Robinson made a motion to adopt the Secretary's Report. Mary Wurtzel seconded the Motion.

Treasurer's Report, Mary Wurtzel. The current bank balance is $6,005.28. Financially, state Convention was a success because we broke even and may have made a little money. We paid the Clarion $3,005.00 in food, so we did not have to pay for meeting  space. There was an additional $262.00 in fund raising at Convention. Terri Wilcox made a motion to accept the Treasurer's Report. Dave Robinson seconded the motion. The Treasurer's Report was approved.

Introduction of participating Members.

Thank You Letters. Thank you letters were sent to all Convention speakers. Mike Ellis and Mike Eagle need to be thanked for their work on sound and streaming. Mike Ellis donated door prizes and food for Friday evening. He needs a thank you letter for his donations for tax purposes. There is action needed by the Commission Board concerning the failure of Commission staff to put the announcement concerning the National Federation of the Blind State Convention on the Vendor's line.

State Convention, Update. Clarion staff did a nice job. Resolutions and letters to the Governor and the Commission Board about actions we want taken need to be sent. 80 or more registered for State Convention. Many came Saturday morning and some did not register. There is a need to have registration open during Convention at least through the morning. There was excellent banquet food. Students were very well represented. The Cane Walk did not happen. We wish we had more time.

Commission Board Meeting, December 8-9. The meeting is not yet announced on the website. Some advise that we wait to evaluate the Agenda to know whether to be there on the eighth or the ninth.

Members at Large Chapter Meeting. We have a chapter for Members at Large. Dave Robinson did a nice job with the meeting that established this new Chapter. The bylaws were established. Candy Jelinski is the President of this Chapter. Andrea Nelson is the new Treasurer. Marcia Catona would also like to join the Members at Large Chapter. Announce the board planning meeting on the list serve. Joe Harcz is the Members at Large Chapter Secretary. His email is joeharczatcomcastddnet.

New Business: Fund Raising activities for National Convention were discussed. Products that are lighter to ship such as Whozit shaped balloons are a possibility. These can be purchased for fifteen to twenty-five cents a piece. The balloons would be sold for about $1.00. The cost of helium is unknown. Another suggestion is chocolate covered blueberries. Of course we will still sell coffee. A walk-athon or hike-athon is suggested as a fund raiser during National White Cane Week. This would help educate the public that blind people are just like others. The question arose about whether we need a charitable solicitation license to do a walk-athon. The understanding is that we do not. Someone suggested a friendly competition between chapters for coffee sales. The Detroit Chapter is having a Cabaret December 9 from 9:00 to 4:00 A.M., starting with a  spaghetti dinner. A site is needed for the winter Board meeting. Holiday Inn in Jackson has rooms but no conference space for state convention. Flint is another possibility. There is serious trouble with transportation in Detroit for blind people. Blind people should not be turned down for Paratransit service because of having some vision. Without a driver's license they should be eligible for transportation service. Blind people with and without some vision should be able to use Metro Lift or the city bus. People who were once approved for Paratransit are now being denied due to their having some vision.

Old Business: RESOLUTIONS Larry Posont was not present at the Meeting and did not have any part in discussing these Resolutions with us. Nine Resolutions were passed by the National Federation of the Blind of Michigan at State Convention. Some of these are directed to the Commission Board to be addressed at the December Board meeting. After Mike Powell reviewed the Resolutions, he is going to send Resolutions 3-4-6-7-9 to the Commission Board immediately. The timing is crucial because of the Board Meeting. All Resolutions can be put on the list serve after review. They are part of the Public Record. Joe Harcz says there is no conflict of interest. Resolutions should be a part of the public record and in the Minutes. Christine Boone left the meeting. Resolutions were sent to the National Office. A legal opinion must be gathered in order to pass Resolution 2011-10. It is urged that the Board take swift action in order to pass Resolution 2011-10, after legal review. The National Federation of the Blind of Michigan passed a motion to help Christine Boone, Dave Robinson and Hazell Brooks with their cases. We oeed to stand up for the others like Dave Robinson whose cases are not resolved. An injustice to one is an injustice to all.

    Adjourn at 10-38.