[nfbmi-talk] and in the uk now too

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Oct 15 20:58:11 UTC 2011

Looks like a step foward in the United Kingdom...

http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/news/braille-signage-introduced-by-sainsburys-is-uk-first~800743799.html

Braille signage introduced by Sainsbury's is 'UK first'

29th

September

2011 |

Door Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

Braille signage has been introduced onto the shop floor at a Sainsbury's supermarket in Woolton, marking a first for the UK.

The store is the first British supermarket to use additional braille signage for the benefit of blind and partially blind customers.

Store manager Bethan Wilson pioneered the move, which will make it easier for those with a visual impairment to do their weekly shopping in the store independently.

The decision has been welcomed by the Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), which worked closely with Ms Wilson to ensure the strategy actually

improved services for blind customers.

Sainsbury's customer experience manager Clare Ellis explained: "The new signage will have a braille panel at the bottom to help customers with finding different

sections in aisles.

"This really shows that we are delivering a great customer experience to all our customers and offering a more inclusive environment to the local community."

The store opened for the first time following its revamp on Friday, September 16th.

ADNFCR-2754-ID-800743799-ADNFCR

Safety Signs News Home