[nfbmi-talk] art institute letter to

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 13:29:44 UTC 2011

Note::

I worked on this survey and also note that the Flint Institute of Arts was
going through a major $3.5 million renovation at the time and that
triggerred all of the requirements.

Note: This was done in a vvery nice way yet I at the time doing this
compliance survey was yelled at and threatened by security staff when
measuring produding objects from the wall and that was in stark violation of
the retaliation provisions of the ADA. Now, who was being nice here?

.

Joe

July 20, 2006

Mr. John B. Henry, III

Director, Flint Institute of Arts

1120 E. Kearsley Avenue

Flint, Michigan   48503

Dear Mr. Henry,

The Disability Network (TDN) is a local organization that provides supports
to over 5,000 citizens with disabilities in Genesee County. We provide
school to work programs, peer support, information & referral services and
technical assistance to people with any type of disability, their families,
employers, businesses and other public entities regarding the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA).

Through a grant provided by the Michigan Developmental Disabilities Council
(MDDC), we are performing accessibility surveys of seven area facilities.
These sites include several venues in the Flint Cultural Center including
the Sloan Museum, The Whiting, The Flint Institute of Music and the Flint
Institute of Arts (FIA). We will also be surveying the International
Institute, Perani's Sports Arena and Kearsley Park.

We recently performed an accessibility survey at the Flint Institute of
Arts. During our survey we saw a number of barriers to accessibility both
outside and inside the building. Some of these barriers could be relatively
inexpensive to bring into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities
Act. Some other barriers could be more expensive to remove. The following
report will identify barriers provide you with the ADA regulations and our
suggestions to make the property accessible to all visitors.

We hope to work with the Flint Institute of Arts in the future and help you
make the FIA accessible to all visitors and staff. If you should have any
questions regarding this report or the information presented, please do not
hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Gary Kidd, ADA Technician

The Flint Institute of Arts

Accessibility Survey

Upon entering the building we discussed with Tracy Stewart, FIA Development
Officer, the purpose behind our accessibility surveys. Tracy was able to
give us a brief history of the museum as well as an overview of the changes
that were made during the extensive renovation of the facility. We pointed
out a few of the issues as reported below and she was very appreciative of
our input.

Front Parking:

Adjacent to the front entrance of the building is an area that has been set
aside as 'accessible' parking for people with disabilities. The spaces
provided are at least the required width of eight (8) feet, measured from
the insides of the lines. However, the two access aisles that are present
are not compliant when used as marked. Both access aisles are 5' wide,
however, they are adjacent to accessible spaces that are identified as van
accessible. The ADA requires that van access aisles be a minimum of 8' wide
measured from the outsides of the lines. There is an additional
non-accessible space in this area. We suggest that this additional space be
eliminated so that the area can be restriped as suggested to bring the
parking into compliance.

Exterior Accessible Route:

The location of the accessible parking forces people with disabilities to
travel into a driveway area which could be dangerous due to traffic
patterns. The ADA suggests that a marked crosswalk be added adjacent to the
accessible parking to make drivers aware of the access route and to provide
people with disabilities access to the front entrance area. If public
transportation passenger drop offs are located within the boundaries of the
property, then accessible routes to the front entrance are also required.

Rear 'accessible' parking:

Currently the rear entrance to the building is considered to be the
accessible entrance. However, we have found that several aspects of this
entrance suggest otherwise. At this time there are two 'accessible' spaces
provided adjacent to the rear entrance. These spaces are not compliant with
the ADA as neither space is marked with signs showing the International
Symbol for Accessibility. Both spaces appear to be properly sized for
accessible parking and the access aisle is approximately 5' wide. We suggest
that the existing access aisle be extended and turned toward the rear
entrance to allow for a marked exterior accessible route. The addition of
detectable warnings, usually known as truncated domes, should be added to
the curb cut adjacent to the rear entrance to allow people with visual
impairments, who may use a cane to know where the sidewalk ends and where
the driveway begins.

Rear 'accessible' entrance:

Upon entering the rear sliding doors, visitors are forced to negotiate up a
ramp which is not compliant with ADA or Michigan Barrier Free Design (MBFD).
The ramp provided is not the ADA specified maximum slope of 1:12, or 1 foot
of length for every inch of height. Therefore, we recommend that the
accessible entrance be moved to the front entrance. We also suggest that the
existing spaces in the back be retained and marked as accessible spaces to
allow for emergency egress which is required at both public entrances. We
also suggest that, until the time comes when the front entrance is made
accessible, signage be provided at the front entrance directing people with
disabilities to the rear 'accessible' entrance. In the event that the front
entrance is made accessible, signs would then be required to be displayed at
the rear entrance to inform your visitors as to the location of the
accessible entrance.

Front exterior accessible route:

The front sidewalk area is not accessible as the curb cuts provided pose
trip hazards. The curb cut which is closest to the front 'accessible'
parking needs to be ground down where the curb rises from the driveway.
There is also a spot here that needs to be patched as the front wheel of a
wheelchair could catch in the depression and pitch a person from their
wheelchair. The curb cut that exists directly adjacent to the front doors
also needs to be ground down to allow for a smoother transition from the
driveway to the sidewalk. It is also recommended that truncated domes, as
mentioned earlier for the rear entrance be added at both curb cuts.

Front entrance:

Due to the opening weight of the front doors, which we measured at
approximately 18 pounds of pull, we recommend that power doors - which are
not required by the ADA - be added to make this entrance accessible. We
understand that due to the costs involved at the time of construction, the
addition of power doors in this front entrance area was deleted from the
design. We think that the Flint Institute of Arts should consider the
installation of power controls for one side of the two sets of exterior and
interior front doors. Power doors make access easier for all visitors.

Currently the doors are set to close faster than 3 seconds from an open
position of 70 degrees to three inches from the latch. We suggest that
someone from maintenance adjust the closing speed of all of the doors (if
they are to remain manual) to slightly more than 3 seconds. With the
addition of power doors at this location the close time could be properly
regulated.

"Gift Shop" corridor:

Upon entering the building and turning left to travel down the hallway which
leads from the Gift Shop to the Café we noted the lack of Braille signs
indicating the use of the permanent rooms. Because some of your visitors
will be people with visual impairments or people who are blind, the addition
of signs providing tactile and Braille characters need to be provided. These
need to be placed on the latch side of the doorway at a 60" centerline
height.

We understand that the possibility exists that a mural or large art piece
may be added to the wall in the area between the Art Rental & Sales area and
the Café. The sign requirement will take precedence in this situation. It is
understood that artwork in many museums is not to be touched and that the
placement of a sign may compromise this rule. However, all visitors,
regardless of their disability, are entitled to full inclusion of the arts
and services provided and therefore need to know what rooms they are near or
entering.

The accessibility of the gift shop is adequate as is the art rental and
sales area. However, cane detectable warnings (please see below) which alert
people with visual disabilities or people who are blind to barriers or
obstructions, should be used in front and/or around displays that could
either be tripped over or could in itself fall over if bumped. This protects
both the museum visitor from injury and the museum from additional
liability.

"Cane detectable warnings":

During the course of our survey we discovered a number of art works that
create a hazard to people with disabilities and could be a liability. There
are a number of works that extend more than 4" from a wall. These are
hazards to people who are visually impaired or blind. The ADA requires that
cane detectable warnings be provided below and prior to an object which may
cause a visitor to damage the artwork or injure themselves. We would like to
suggest the addition of some planters that are moveable. Two or more smaller
planters could be placed on the floor under an artwork. As there are several
displays that are longer than 3', several planters could be placed on the
floor along the wall. Providing portable planters will allow the museum to
adapt the environment depending upon the objects displayed.

"Restrooms":

Adjacent to the main lobby are a restroom and drinking fountain area. The
restrooms are, for the most part, accessible. However, there are a few
details that need to be considered. These requirements and suggestions apply
to both the women's and men's restroom facilities. The provision of
automatic faucets is very much appreciated. However, a person using a
wheelchair is unable to approach and use the sink due to a 7" fascia which
creates a barrier under the counter and does not allow the wheelchair user
to get close enough to the sink. The minimum height of a sink counter is 27"
from the floor to the lowest leading edge of the sink apron. Our survey team
measured the existing sink at a height of 26" to the bottom of the fascia.
We would like to therefore recommend that the existing fascia be either
removed or shortened to allow a closer sink approach.

There is a requirement that water supply lines and drainpipes provide
protection for wheelchair users. Because many people who use wheelchairs may
not have feelings in their legs, they could severely injure themselves if
they come into contact with a hot pipe. It is recommended that foam sleeves
be added to both the supply lines and the drainpipes of all of the sinks,
including those in the women's restroom. You might also consider adding an
additional paper towel dispenser adjacent to the right side sink in the men's
room. A wheelchair user who washes his hands at the sink on the far right
side of the sink area would soil his hands prior to reaching the towel
dispenser on the left side. In lieu of adding an additional dispenser, a
roll of paper towels could be placed on the right side of the counter.

At the entrance of these two restrooms are two identifying signs,
appropriately marked "Men" & "Women". These may remain but it is necessary
to provide signs as described earlier that use tactile and Braille
characters to describe the permanent room. While power doors are not
required by the Americans with Disabilities Act, providing them would make
these restrooms that much more accessible.

We were unable to survey the entire museum due to time constraints and
issues that we will cover in one moment. We feel that the remainder of the
building would provide the same features in other parts of the building
which we have already covered. The requirements of the ADA apply to the
remainder of the building and its galleries. Accessibility consideration
must also be applied to the classroom wing and any other area that is open
in any way to the general public.

Sensitivity Training:

We ran into two rather disturbing incidents. First, one of the members of
our volunteer survey team is a young man who is legally blind. During much
of the time we spent in the museum he was using his hands to explore his
surroundings and to gauge the accessibility of the building and to judge the
barriers that exist. At one point while in the lobby outside of the main
gallery he nearly collided with a small piece of artwork that is placed on
the wall approximately 5' above the floor. As he reached out to find out
what the object was, a loud voice called out 'do not touch the art'. Turning
to the sound we saw a museum guard. She repeated the order several times as
we attempted to explain our actions. After several moments we felt that we
were not making our point clear so we took leave of the building to avoid
further trouble.

While we understand that the art work is not to be touched, we do not feel
that the order needed to be repeated as many times as it was nor was it
necessary for this guard to be rude, which she was. If this had been any
other time or any other visitor who had actually run into this piece of art
the results could have been very different and difficult. Another patron
could have injured themselves on the artwork.

The other incident occurred after most of our survey team had left the
building. One of our volunteers was still in the building while he waited
for his MTA Your Ride driver and heard an exchange between two of the
guards. The two guards in question, whose names we do not know, decided on
their own that they will "no longer allow a blind person to enter the
 museum". This is discriminatory and uncalled for.

Due to our experience and the comments that were heard, we strongly suggest
that the staff, guards and other personnel of the museum who will come into
contact with patrons who may have a disability undergo Sensitivity Training
to learn about people with disabilities and the proper way to engage us in
conversation and refer to us with others. It is apparent to those of us on
the survey team that some staff and employees of the museum do not
understand that people with visual impairments or who are blind do enjoy the
same things that sighted people do.

One does not need to see a piece of art to visualize the art work. Friends
are able to describe to a blind visitor the texture of a length of yarn or
the color of a piece of paper in a mixed media piece, the feelings of gloom
or joy in a Manet or Renoir painting or the complexity of a Dale Chihuly
glass piece, such as the piece owned by the Flint Institute of Art. To
assume that people with disabilities, especially those with visual
impairments, would not want to experience the visual arts, is a very narrow
view of the needs of all citizens to enjoy and contemplate what those with
vision take for granted.

To summarize, we would like to encourage the Flint Institute of Arts to
improve the environment of the museum in order to allow all visitors the
full enjoyment of the arts and leisure. When provided with the opportunity
to explore the uniqueness of a Knights armor, the antique beauty of 18th
Century glassware, the reflections of a cityscape in a painting of a
motorcycle or just the chance to view the image of a multi-eyed dog laying
on the floor just inside the front door of a museum, visitors don't want to
find themselves excluded from the chance to enjoy the arts because someone
just doesn't understand why they would want to visit.

We would like to assist you in anyway we can in your efforts to make the
Flint Institute of Arts accessible to all visitors. Some of the changes
needed may be more difficult to implement than others and may require a
transition plan to make changes over a period of time. We look forward to
assisting you in any way that we can.

The Disability Network (TDN) trains its staff on The Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA) and Michigan Barrier Free Design (MBFD) codes, rules
and regulations. The information presented in this evaluation are TDN's
interpretation of the ADA and MBFD requirements. It is advisory in nature
and intended as informational guidance for any agency, business,
organization or other public entity required to comply with ADA and/or MBFD.
TDN does not enforce ADA or MBFD but cooperates with the Department of
Justice (DOJ), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Housing and
Urban Development (HUD) and other Federal, State and Local government
agencies on enforcement activity. If legal advice or other expert assistance
is required, the services or a legal professional should be sought.