[nfbmi-talk] Random thoughts...

Fred wurtzel f.wurtzel at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 20:25:04 UTC 2011

Hi Bob,

I certainly am inclined to take the "Appreciative inquiry" approach to
management.  I also believe that the Demming ideas around "Zero Defects" is
an appropriate way of framing management issues. One of the principles of
both of these is measurement.  Transparency is also critical in a public
agency.  Within MCB all decisions must embrace the concept of "consumer
driven" as it relates to P.A. 260.

As I see it, we will never rid ourselves of these claims and counter claims
around expectations and performance until we develop a broad measurement
system which is reliable and open to the public.  This is not a critical
statement.  I simply believe we need to work from the facts, in as nearly a
real time frame as possible and share the facts with stakeholders, no matter
their implications.

Regarding returned phone calls, the anecdotal data is overwhelming and
widespread.  The 48 hour policy is routinely not observed at most levels,
though support staff seem better about observing it than others. Until we
measure it and improve it, it will remain a hot button issue for consumers.

Regarding accessible data, progress is being made with the recent
consolidation of some data on the MCB web site.  I am personally aware of
repeated requests for information in an accessible format (not from me)
which have gone unanswered.  With the exception of confidential client data,
all MCB information is public.  Under ADA this information is required to be
provided in an accessible format.  This ought to be ironclad SOP.  I do not
understand why MCB continues to allow this to be a thorn in its side.  It is
a distraction and is petty.  Further, it causes distrust and separates -MCB
from its customers in an unnecessary atmosphere of apparent lack of concern
for customer needs.

I view these issues as more systemic than people driven.  MCB needs systems
to automatically provide information in a timely way in a format of the
customer's choice.  MCB needs a management system which measures and
improves customer responsiveness on all levels, including returned phone
calls, requests for information about blindness, referrals to appropriate
sources for assistance and so on.  Such responsiveness includes job
placement, development of employers who will hire blind people, attending
IEP's of transition students to help them with navigating the college and
job-seeking landscape.    System 7 is not functioning properly.  This needs
to be repaired and made to serve the staff and customers of MCB.

I would suggest that contrary to what you said in your statement, returned
phone calls are not solely the purview of MCB management.  The Commission
Board is designed to be a consumer based mechanism for delivering quality
rehabilitation services to blind consumers.  It is in the interest of
consumers to receive timely responses to inquiry's.  In a public agency
there is always a variety of interests and levels of accountability.  Every
public employee has 1 boss and many stakeholders and constituents.  It is
necessary to keep these stakeholders and constituents in mind and better to
maintain a positive working relationship with them to the maximum extent
possible.

Inevitably, there will be conflict.  It is the manner in which these
conflicts are handled that will make a difference.  Data collection and
management will greatly assist in supporting decisions and improving
services.  Staff training is an integral part of the feedback system around
data-driven management.  It seems to me that to begin to close the
expectation/performance gap, MCB must, immediately and in a dramatic way,
adopt a comprehensive training program for all new and existing staff that
incorporates a positive philosophy of blindness, openness toward including
consumers in agency functioning, policies and data elements as a core design
feature..  Today is not too soon for this change to take place.

I do not feel that any of the forgoing is personal toward anyone.
Demonizing or villainizing consumers or staff is distracting and does not
address the matters at hand.  Measurement of job performance is just 1 more
data-driven part of the MCB system and will root out issues of
accountability.  It is certainly relevant to the MCB system which is not, in
my opinion, operating at near top efficiency.  Management and staff need to
be accountable for following the law and Commission policies.

$25 million is a lot of money.  Only a third (or less) is being spent for
case services.  Only three fourths or less is being spent of the small
portion for clients.  The unspent budget is a prime example of this
inefficiency and is a fact supported by data.  Placements are too low.  This
is a fact and is supported by data.  Too few placements with unspent funds
is clearly a contradiction and is factual and supported by data.  The cost
of closing a case unsuccessfully is nearly as much as closing a case
successfully.  This is a fact.  Why not finish the job and close these cases
successfully instead of giving up?  If blind people were getting jobs in
their chosen career fields and not being thwarted by the system in attaining
the best education possible these facts would begin to swing in the positive
direction hoped for by anyone who cares about the ability of blind people to
assume our places as first-class citizens along with our sighted peers.

Warm Regards,

Fred