[nfbmi-talk] Plan would allow more gubernatorial appointments

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Oct 26 12:03:32 UTC 2011

I wonder allowed if this Senator would think this might overturn legislative
requirements? It certainly wouldn't in my mind negate PA 260 and the
requirement for board approval of the Director of MCB, unless of course, PA
260 was legislatively reversed, which is something that does crop up from
time to time.

One reason though for this proposal is that even ur legislators, especially
since term limits simply don't have the balance of power they used to
relative to entrenched bureaucrats in virtually all agencies.

In fact they often get the same abuse of FOIA and other lack of transparency
albeit with more respect than I do.

Personally, I'm not certain this is the appropriate fix for the problem, but
I do understand and sympathized with the frustration in dealing with
entrenched bureaucrats who think they are above the law and act in arbitrary
and capricious manners.

By the way the comment is not in the least aimed at the average frontline
state worker or even middle management, but rather at this elitist class of
upper management that is just below these "deputy" level administrators.

By the way this isn't a partisan issue as the article points out for this
legislator tried this during the last administration too.

Anyway again there are layers in the state apparatchik who think the
agencies or the state government is all about them. While we know that
intimately within MCB, it also exists in other entities.

Frankly, my solutions would be more geared to altering term limits which
would restore more balance between branches of state government and give the
people more power right at the ballot box. And I would reform our civil
service mechanisms so that they act by the rule of law rather than whim and
re-create a meritocracy which the civil service was supposed to do.

In addition I would if governor institute independent and politically
insulated inspector general's like DHS has throughout. I think that can be
done through executive order.

Again putting in more political appointees in a state riddled by politics
within various branches is not the solution in my mind.

Just some thoughts and they do go to blindness in my opinion for we who are
blind do not give up our over all citizenship and ideas on these matters
just because we happen to be blind.

Peace with Justice,

Joe