[nfbmi-talk] NFBNewsline free

Ghkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Thu Oct 27 05:05:43 UTC 2011

Hi all,

 Thanks to those of you who have responded with requests to sign up for Newsline or to volunteer. I will call as soon as I can.

For those who do not know about NFBNewsline, the brochure below explains about the free service. If you  rather use a computer to read NFBNewsline we have several options that are explained at
www.nfbnewslineonline.org

My number is 517-338-4064. I will receive a email of your message so please speak clearly. I normally check my email.

You may also call toll free 866-504-7300. You will get the folks in Baltimore.

Leonard Gross is the Detroit Chapter coordinator for Newsline so you may also speak to him if you go to the chapter meetings. He is good about helping members of that chapter.

Best,
Georgia
P.S. We now have global search, more magazines, foreign papers including india, Israel, China etc., oh, we now have Target ads and I suspect other ads  once we develop a  relationship with a store.

Here is the brochure
National Federation of the Blind NFB- Newsline(r)

Unable to read the newspaper?

We have the answer!

FREE  Personalized  Newspaper and TV Listings Service over the telephone. Call (866) 504-7300 www.nfbnewsline.org

There is no substitute for Newspapers

Best Source of in-depth National and International News and Analysis and often the only source for Local and Community News and Events.

Have you been forced to give up reading the newspaper due to blindness or a visual impairment?

Do you want access to the same information about news and current events at the same time as your sighted friends, family, and coworkers?

Does your career demand that you keep up with the latest developments in your field?

Are you a sports fan, political buff, or arts enthusiast who needs detailed coverage in a specific area?

Would you like to have our new personalized TV Listings Service?

NFB-NEWSLINE(r) is a free electronic service that gives any blind, visually impaired, or print disabled person access to newspapers, magazines, and TV Listings 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using a Touch-Tone telephone.

NFB-Newsline(r) allows any blind or visually impaired person to listen to TODAY'S newspaper TODAY over the telephone for FREE, and can access up to 2 weeks of TV Listings in advance. You can choose the topic and articles of greatest interest to you, at the time and place of your choosing. With over 250 newspapers and magazines, you can choose from the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Christian Science Monitor, Los Angeles Times, USA Today, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post and hundreds of local newspapers including some in Spanish.  The magazines include all three AARP publications, the New Yorker, The Economist and Diabetes Self-Management. New to the service are; Associated Press and UPI with national and state news updates every hour. You can also choose special local channels to obtain important information about services and items of specific interest to the blind. You may choose to have your newspapers sent to your e-mail address or you may download them from Bookshare.org.

How can I sign up?

If you're a patron of a Talking Book Library, call your library to sign up for NFB-Newsline(r) over the phone. If not, then visit our Web site: www.nfbnewsline.org to fill out an application on-line or download one and mail it in; or call the National Federation of the Blind at 1 (866) 504-7300.  Ask for a Demo Code to try it out.

NFB-NEWSLINE(r) is FREE information and materials are available in Braille and audio formats.

Who Can Benefit?

Anyone who cannot read conventional newsprint can qualify for this free service.

Blind individuals can now gain access to the information in newspapers and on television at the same time as their sighted colleagues, friends and family members. Blind professionals can now converse on relevant topics critical to their professions and social functions. Many seniors have lost enough vision that reading the daily newspapers is no longer possible. They will enjoy being able once again to participate actively in community affairs.

Blind children are now able to research their own school assignments and do homework independently. Anyone with a physical disability who is unable to turn a page can qualify for NFB-Newsline(r).

NFB-NEWSLINE(r)

200 East Wells Street

  at Jernigan Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21230

(866) 504-7300

www.nfbnewsline.org

TESTIMONIALS FROM NFB-NEWSLINE(r) SUBSCRIBERS

"You've got all the newspapers that I would ever want to read!" Judge David Tatel, Virginia

"It's a wonderful service. I am delighted to be back in touch with the world."  Ethel Kurland, 91-year-old woman, Idaho

"NFB-Newsline(r) is fantastic.  I get my papers via email, usually before my neighbor. Love the hourly AP updates, and the TV Listings are a godsend." David DeNotaris, blind professional, New Jersey

"Macular degeneration took the newspaper away from me, but NFB-NEWSLINE(r) has brought it back." Sidney Katz, Florida

"I don't use NFB-Newsline(r) too much for school work" Erica Costa, a teenager in Massachusetts, freely admits. "I use it more for pleasure."  As an avid Red Sox fan, she catches up with her team by reading about them in the Boston Globe.

"It is so important to find quality television programming for young children.  Now I can choose appropriate TV shows for my children, just like a sighted parent would." Eric Duffy, a Columbus, Ohio native and blind parent of two children.

"It's practical, it's easy, it's reliable.  If you can use a telephone you can use NFB-NEWSLINE(r)." Patrick Leahy, District of Columbia