[nfbmi-talk] what are you thinking don?

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 14:26:04 UTC 2012

Dear Governor Snyder,

Thank you for issuing Executive order number 2012 – 2. You might find it interesting that I am a past board member of the Michigan Commission for the Blind,

appointed in 2000 by John Engler, and am pleased with the way you have reorganized the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

Moving the Vocational rehabilitation services functions of the commission for the Blind to the Michigan Department of Human Services makes sense. It will

decrease duplicated administrative costs, streamline government, promote a spirit of universal accessibility, and bring blind folks on to the same playing

field as others. After all, Blind folks are “human” too, why shouldn’t they be in the Human Services Department?

Moving the Business Enterprise program to the Department of Technology, Management & Budget is also a pos...itive shift. having the Blind Venders under

the same umbrella as the agency that manages State buildings and state property will simplify administrative issues that have been troublesome.

It is no secret within the Blind & Visually Impaired Community that the Commission for the Blind has been poorly managed for years. Changes have been needed

for a long time. I was not happy with the way the Commission was being run ten years ago when I left the Commission Board. Since that time, the situation

has deteriorated.

I commend you on taking decisive action and making these changes. To continue to do the same as has been done in the past would have been to continue the

decline of services for blind citizens in Michigan.

There are always those who criticize and stand on the sidelines and condemn changes that are being made. I say, let’s give Executive order 2012 -02 a chance.

It makes a lot of sense.

Sincerely,

Donald R. Bowman

>From Detroit News April  6, 2012