[nfbmi-talk] Slightly Off Topic Pedestrians

Donald R. bowman donaldbowman at blindmassage.com
Thu Apr 12 16:04:49 UTC 2012

Hi Fred,
This is a great article.  I am grateful you posted it.
I have to say, I, am a "walker", I walk many miles per week; yesterday, I
walked over three miles, through Lansing, crossing busy streets, finding &
navigating obscure sidewalks, observing and analyzing complicated traffic
patterns using my travel skills & my Leader Dog.  It is a humbling and,
also, an exuberating experience, to walk that far through a busy city
situation.
I had some basic mobility instruction at the school for the blind, and also
at Leader Dog of Rochester.
I have gained the most confidence and skill from reading books about
orientation & mobility and putting the concepts & principles to use in my
own time, working alone and using trial & error.

It was important for me to learn that even the absolutely best blind
travelers, (pedestrians), get lost sometimes.  It is a part of being
independent.

I have also found that using both a Leader Dog & a white cane in unfamiliar
situations is a tremendously empowering combination.

I encourage all blind people to push their comfort level, and get out every
day, and walk; go somewhere, even if it is back home.

When gasoline prices get up over $5.00 a gallon, walking will become more
popular in our society.
You just watch & see!
Cordially,
Donald Bowman