[nfbmi-talk] gov snyder proclimation

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Apr 23 13:27:40 UTC 2012

April 27 through May 5, 2012: White Cane Week

WHEREAS, the white cane has become an international symbol identifying individuals who are blind or visually impaired, alerting Michigan drivers to observe

caution for the safety of drivers and blind pedestrians alike; and,

WHEREAS, the Lions Club of Michigan is an organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all people, especially Michigan residents who are

blind or visually impaired, providing opportunities for these individuals to achieve greater independence; and,

WHEREAS, for the past three decades, White Cane Week efforts have supported projects and organizations that benefit people who are blind or visually impaired,

and helped provide eye examinations, eyeglasses and white canes to those in need; and,

WHEREAS, during this week, we encourage Michigan residents to learn more about White Cane Week and to support projects and services that facilitate the

independence of blind or visually impaired citizens; we recognize the dedicated volunteers of the Lions Club of Michigan for their continued tradition

of service;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Rick Snyder, governor of Michigan, do hereby proclaim Friday, April 27 through Saturday, May 5, 2012 as White Cane Week in Michigan.

http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277-57577_59874-276434--,00.html