[nfbmi-talk] mcbvi blog response?

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Apr 24 15:08:25 UTC 2012

MCBVI Position statement regarding executive order 2012-2

Governor Snyder's executive order 2012—2 signed on February 24, 2012 has been put on hold for necessary changes. MCBVI is working in cooperation with officials
to ensure that quality services for blind and visually impaired citizens remain available. Here is the position statement released by our board of directors

MICHIGAN COUNCIL OF THE BLIND AND VISUALLY IMPAIRED

POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 2012-2

Contact: Joe Sibley, president

616-724-1650

Joe.sibley at comcast.net

March 11, 2012

We are the Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired (MCBVI), the Michigan affiliate of the American Council of the Blind (ACB). After careful
review we wish to make the following statements in response to Governor Rick Snyder's executive order No. 2012-2 which was issued on Friday, February 24,
2012.

While historically it has been demonstrated that vision rehabilitation programs are most successful when operated as stand-alone agencies separate from
the general rehabilitation agency, we recognize that there are times when adjustments have to be made to the structure to make the department more efficient.
This is acceptable provided that there is no violation of any state and federal laws, PA 260 and the Randolph Shepard Act, and there is no reduction in
the scope and quality of services.

Michigan Rehabilitation Services is transferred to the Department of Human Services (DHS) with its mission essentially intact. On the other hand, the blindness
agency is not well defined in terms of roles, functions, and accountability. This could mean that services for blind people will be absorbed into either
the general rehabilitation agency or somewhere else in DHS. We are concerned that services to people who are blind will be adversely affected. The two
agencies differ significantly in the scope of support and sponsorship offered to clients. It has been proven that the training needs of people who are
blind are unique. In order to achieve success, people who are blind require intensive support during rehabilitation that general rehabilitation counselors
are not trained to provide.

While it appears to make sense to move the Business Enterprise Program (BEP) to the Department of Technology Management and Budget (DTMB), the order does
not clarify who will be the licensing agency as directed by the Randolph Shepard Act. It also must be clarified just how the Business Enterprise Program
will coordinate efforts with the agency serving the blind.

The executive order does not clarify the rights and responsibilities of the five- member Advisory Board as it does the Michigan Rehabilitation Council.
This Advisory Board must have MCBVI membership representation, and have a direct impact on the quality of services to blind and visually impaired consumers.

As Governor Snyder has always promoted open accountability and results oriented execution of programs, we trust that this will continue in reporting the
successes and shortfalls of this new restructured vision rehabilitation program, and any problems in the quality execution of these programs will be corrected.

While we are disappointed that we did not have any warning or involvement in the design of this reorganization, we do maintain that a successful program
must include direct involvement by consumers who are living daily with the challenges that the new vision rehabilitation program must help citizens to
overcome.

In summary, while we have many serious concerns as expressed above about executive order 2012-2, MCBVI stands ready to collaborate to insure that people
who are blind continue to receive quality services. We are taking Governor Snyder at his word and trust that quality services will continue, and trust
that he will be accountable for the results of this reorganization.

MCBVI Executive Committee
Joe Sibley, President
John Jarzyna, First Vice President
Pamela Berryman, Second Vice President