[nfbmi-talk] National Federation of the Blind of Michigan Board Meeting 4/12/12

trising trising at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 26 12:24:36 UTC 2012

National Federation of the Blind of Michigan Board Meeting

Larry Posont, Dave Robinson, Terri Wilcox, Nick Wilcox, Mary Wurtzel and Melinda Latham

Introduction of Participating Members

Secretary's Report, Terri Wilcox. Dave Robinson moved to adopt the Secretary's Report. Nick Wilcox seconded the motion. The Secretary's Report was approved.

Treasurer's Report, Mary Wurtzel.

as of 4/12/12 the affiliate balance was $8,439.68 $2,000 of this is Youth money. Mary is working on turning on the phones for the Affiliate. We received $105 in memory of Mary Lou Philips. We may have close to $300.00 in donations on behalf of members who have passed away. We got the money out of the parents Cd. Dave Robinson moved to adopt the Treasurer's Report. Terri Wilcox seconded the motion. The Treasurer's Report was adopted.

Executive Order concerning Michigan Commission for the Blind There may be a new Executive Order by April 24 that will go into effect on October 1. A few things will be changed. We are developing friends in both parties in the Legislature. There is urging to deal with our Resolutions. Send out Resolutions to the appropriate people. The Auto Show is canceled for this summer.

Coffee Fund Raiser, Mary Wurtzel. Affiliate members need to sell coffee. There is a link to the coffee on the website. There are concerns about coffee being expensive.

National Convention. Spirit Airlines has some less expensive flights for Convention. Get flights and register as soon as possible before rooms are sold out and rates go up! The schedule is the same as the last few years. Two volunteers are needed per shift to work the exhibit table.

Vendor Fair. May 9 Morris Lawrence Building Workers are needed. Dinner is proposed for all interested National Federation of the Blind volunteers and participants after Vendor Fair at a location to be determined.

Quarterly Board Meeting, May 12 at St. Paul's Lutheran Church. The church is located at 420 West Liberty Ann Arbor, MI 48104. Pizza, salad, cookies, and pop will be provided at a cost of $7.00 per person.

We need to fund raise, have fun, and talk about the Commission for the Blind. It is crucial at this time. We can do other projects if someone organizes them and takes leadership for them. Members need to take leadership for projects that interest them. Terry Eagle was elected to the Merchants Division as President. Joe Sontag is Vice President. Two officers of the Elected Operator's Committee are Andrea Nelson and Risa Patrick-Langtry. Blind citizens are denied due process when they do not get information in an accessible format in a timely manner.

Dave Robinson made a motion to adjourn at 9:55. Terri Wilcox seconded the motion. The meeting was adjourned.