[nfbmi-talk] lots of mi stuff in here

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 9 18:11:42 UTC 2012

Presidential Report 2012

An Address Delivered by
MARC MAURER
National Federation of the Blind
Dallas, Texas
July 3, 2012

When the National Federation of the Blind came into being in 1940, blind people faced almost total exclusion from meaningful participation in society. We
formed our Federation with the previously unknown proposition that we could change these conditions—that we, blind people, could become an integrated part
of our culture through our own efforts, and we have been pursuing this objective ever since. This past year the speed of our progress has increased, the
number of our activities has expanded, and the complexity of our programs has become greater than ever before in our history.

Blind people are thought to be musical, and a few of us are. Jessica Bachicha, now married to Jason Ewell, has been blind since birth. She met Fred Schroeder,
our first vice president, who was then directing programs for blind students in the New Mexico public school system, when she was five. Dr. Schroeder taught
her how to be an accomplished student, and he also helped her to know that she could follow her dreams. She has become an accomplished opera soprano. She
has performed with a number of symphonies, and she was invited to sing at Carnegie Hall earlier this year. I was privileged to be in the audience, I heard
her hit the high F from an aria in The Magic Flute five times, and I understand that she came to the stage proudly carrying her white cane. Dr. Jessica
Bachicha will be offering us an aria at the banquet later this week.

In an effort to gain greater access to information, we established in 2003 a project with Ray Kurzweil to build a portable reading machine, the K-NFB Reader
Mobile. Although this reading machine is currently available as a program that operates on a number of cell phones, and although it is the best portable
reading machine that has been developed, the project has shifted its primary focus to an electronic book reader, the Blio, that can be used by blind or
sighted people to read digital information. Blio is a program which runs on computers (desktops, laptops, and notebooks), on iOS devices (iPods, iPhones,
and iPads) and potentially on other types of hardware used for reading books, magazines, or other digital content. K-NFB Reading Technology, Inc., which
owns Blio, has entered into a cooperative relationship with Baker & Taylor, a distributor of books from many thousands of publishers. One of the markets
served by Baker & Taylor is libraries. Baker & Taylor’s digital library system, called Axis 360, uses the Blio reading program to give patrons access to
digital books. Axis 360 is an accessible library system offering blind and other print disabled people the opportunity to read books as effectively as
sighted people do. Using the Blio bookstore, blind and sighted people have access to three hundred thousand books. The Axis 360 library system has only
half this number, but the program is growing, and it will soon offer as many as can now be purchased in the bookstore.

In 1990 we attempted to create a partnership with the Association of American Publishers to obtain equal access to the printed word. The person then serving
as its president said to our convention, “We are not in the charity business,” and he walked out of the convention hall. We have been taking steps since
that time in the legal arena, the political arena, and the corporate arena to try to change the perception that equal access to information is a matter
of charity.

We have been urging companies to adopt systems to provide equal access to information. Sometimes our advocacy efforts are successful, but sometimes they
are not. To promote equality of access to information, we have, through our involvement with K-NFB Reading Technology, Inc., assisted in the creation of
the Blio reading system. If others will not promote equal access to information, we will do it ourselves.

In September 2011, we co-hosted our second Web Accessibility Training Day with the Maryland Technology Assistance Program. Those showing their work in accessibility
included Oracle, Adobe, the United States Access Board, the World Wide Web Consortium, and AOL. I am not saying that all of these entities know how to
provide accessible content, but we have insisted that they try to do so, and they were demonstrating what they know.

On December 6, 2011, the National Federation of the Blind hosted a symposium on accessibility in publishing, and we co-hosted an event on inclusive publishing
and e-book distribution with the DAISY Consortium six months later. We became a part of the DAISY Consortium some time ago to establish a standard which
can be used to ensure equal access for the blind and print-disabled. This standard, EPUB3, has been created, and the Internet tools to implement elements
of the standard are currently under development. With the implementation of this standard, we will reach the objective of the same book, at the same price,
and at the same time for print-disabled customers.

We have also conducted a two-and-a-half-day “Train the Trainers” event. The training provided hands-on involvement with screen access software, Braille,
DAISY e-books, and other tools. Furthermore, we have conducted numerous other training programs in such widely separated venues as the University of Toledo,
the California State University at Northridge (CSUN), and the Consumer Electronics Show.

At a hearing held by the United States Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions in February 2012, entitled “The Promise of Accessible
Technology: Challenges and Opportunities,” Mark Riccobono presented the point of view of the National Federation of the Blind. An equal opportunity to
education requires access to books, course materials, research articles, and other digital material. Access to information is nothing less than a fundamental
civil right, and we insist that the blind have as much opportunity to get it as anybody else. This is what Mark Riccobono declared to the Senate of the
United States.

Equal access to the same corpus of materials used by all other scholars is the goal for us. Imagine a day when any blind college student can have the same
independent access to the entire library’s collection that a sighted student has. Imagine a day that a blind student can independently search the collection
for the right materials. Imagine a day that a blind student can independently perform data mining of the library collection. That day has arrived at the
University of Michigan. However, access to this extraordinary quantity of information for us is under attack.

A number of years ago the Google company decided to make digital copies of books in dozens of university libraries. A consortium of these universities established
the Hathi Trust to hold and manage the digital copies of books that came from the Google Books Library Project. The Authors Guild has sued the Hathi Trust,
and we intervened to assist in protecting this material. The Authors Guild wants the universities to give up the scanned material or to agree never to
use it unless a court order permits this use. However, we believe that the universities have an obligation to provide it to students and professors who
cannot read print, now that the material has been put into accessible form. The University of Michigan has declared that blind students and professors
have access to this digital treasure trove, and we believe that other universities will soon follow suit. I remember standing in the library when I was
in college wondering how I could learn all that the books had to tell me. Now, after decades of effort, the promise of equal access is becoming a reality.
Our participation in the lawsuit will demand energy and financial commitment, but what an opportunity has come to be almost within our reach.

The Barnes & Noble Nook is a convenient, inexpensive e-book reader, but it is completely inaccessible to the blind. When we asked Barnes & Noble to change
this, officials from the company responded with numerous excuses but no program to provide access to books. Now, libraries are buying them. Because they
acquired inaccessible Nooks, we have filed a complaint with the Department of Justice against the Sacramento Public Library and a suit in federal court
against the Free Library of Philadelphia, the nation’s oldest public library. We hope that these two actions will be enough to change the behavior of libraries
and the behavior of Barnes & Noble. However, if more complaints are needed, we know how to create them and where to have them filed. We must have books,
and we will take every necessary step to get them. Our right to an equal education and equal access to information may not be compromised, and we are the
people to ensure that it will not be—not today, not tomorrow, not anytime.

Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act prohibits the federal government from acquiring inaccessible technology, but the government routinely ignores this
federal law. More than 90 percent of the federal agencies examined within the last few years have failed to demonstrate complete accessibility of their
Web presences, and many federal agencies buy office machines, computer programs, and even telephones for disabled employees that are completely inaccessible.

A few days before this convention, we learned that the State Department is attempting to purchase thirty-five thousand Kindle book readers to be distributed
in libraries throughout the world. According to the publicity, these inaccessible products will cost the government over $16 million. We have sent a letter
to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to protest this violation of the law, and a number of other actions are underway to ensure that the State Department
does not use its power to promote the interests of those seeking to prevent disabled citizens from having equal access to information. The Amazon Kindle
has been the subject of at least half a dozen legal actions in which we have taken part, and although we do not fight unless we must, if the State Department
insists, we will meet them in the court. Officials at the State Department cannot tell us that vital American interests in international relations require
this type of discriminatory behavior; precisely the opposite is true. Our vital American interests must be protected, and we will take every step to see
that they are.

On December 6, 2011, Congress received the Report of the Advisory Commission on Accessible Instructional Materials in Postsecondary Education for Students
with Disabilities, which had been authorized by amendments that we had sponsored to the Higher Education Act. Mark Riccobono served as our representative
on the Commission. It will not amaze you to learn that the Commission found that educational materials for blind students in college are inaccessible,
and that it would be helpful if they included accessibility. If accessibility of such information for blind students and professors is not achieved in
the near future, the Commission report recommends that Congressional action be taken. We concur with this idea, and we will write the legislation.

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012, Senator Patty Murray from Washington and Senator John Boozman from Arkansas circulated a Dear Colleague letter in support