[nfbmi-talk] nfb doj settlement sacramento

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 16:35:13 UTC 2012

Sacramento library settlement reached over e-readers for blind

Published: Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012 - 12:00 am | Page 2B

The

U.S. Justice Department

announced Wednesday that it and the National Federation of the Blind have reached a settlement with the Sacramento Public Library Authority to supply e-book

readers for blind people.

The settlement resolves allegations that the library violated the

Americans with Disabilities

Act by using "inaccessible" Barnes & Noble Nook electronic readers in the library lending program.

The settlement agreement calls for the library not to acquire any more e-readers that exclude blind people, who need features such as text-to-speech functions

or the ability to access menus through audio or touch options.

"Emerging technologies like e-readers are changing the way we interact with the world around us and we need to ensure that people with disabilities are

not excluded from the programs where these devices are used," stated Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez in a news release.

The library has also agreed to acquire at least 18 e-readers that people with disabilities can use.

– Bill Lindelof

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.