[nfbmi-talk] Detroit Regional Transit

Jason Meddaugh jj at bestmidi.com
Thu Dec 6 02:08:38 UTC 2012

I'm sure many of us would agree that Detroit's public transit system is severely lacking. As you may have heard, bills to create a regional transit authority for southeast Michigan have passed the senate but are having trouble in the house. While it's not a blindness issue, it's certainly one that effects many of us and that I feel we should do what we can to support. We have passed resolutions relating to transit in Detroit so this would certainly be in line. I know that at least one Ann Arbor rep, Rep. Jeff Erwin, is against the bills and is quoted as such, for example. If you're in his district, I encourage you to write or call his office, or both.

Here's a note I just sent to my member of the Michigan house. Anything we can do to further regional transit and help to fix the problems in Detroit is worth it.

Hello. I'm writing to hear your position on the Regional Transit Authority bills for the Detroit area. I sincerely hope you are in favor of the bills currently being considered in the house and hope they can be brought back for another vote. As a frequent user of public transportation, I realize that Detroit is lagging far behind other regions when it comes to public transportation. I have longed considered moving out of state to Chicago or another region with better transit, but there's no reason why we can't have a world class system in Michigan. It's time we get on board and create a regional transit authority for southeast Michigan.

Best Regards,
Jason Meddaugh
A T Guys
Your Assistive Technology Experts