[nfbmi-talk] some image issues and ironies

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 13:48:21 UTC 2012

All including Matt and JJ...

Some time back I requested and received the Americans with Disabilities Act facility surveys conducted years late by the Department of Technology Management and Budget. The surveys were farmed out to Integrated Architectsin Grand Rapids and then conducted by the Lansing Center for Independent Living.

Now these were partially accessible pdf documents. However there are check lists that denote wheter or not say all doors are accessible, required Braille signage is there and if there is enough striped accessible parking for example.

Now, here's the rub. The actual check marks that make these surveys accessible fully to the blind are some sort of image! In other words the facility surveys themselves aren't fully accessible including it's most relevent component.

These of course are ADA and 504 violations in and of themselves as DTMB is an entity of state and local government and a recipient of federal funds.

Because these are large they cannot be sent directly to the list. However, Joe Sontag has done me and all the kindness of putting them as a compressed (zip) file on "drop box" at:

        This will be easier to download.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22266576/dtmb%20ada%20survey%20pdf%20rcd%20nov%2018%202010.zip