[nfbmi-talk] Fwd: Request for an Ethics Board Advisory Opinion

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:09:31 UTC 2012

Dear Michigan Federationists:
     Please read this very carefully.

Subject: Fwd: Request for an Ethics Board Advisory Opinion
To: president.nfb.mi at gmail.com, jcscot at sbcglobal.net, laschuck at juno.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Cannon, Patrick (LARA)" <cannonp at michigan.gov>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:18:05 -0500
Subject: Request for an Ethics Board Advisory Opinion
February 1, 2012

Janet McClelland, Executive Secretary

State Board of Ethics

Michigan Department of Civil Service

P.O. Box 30002

Lansing, MI 48909

Dear Ms. McCIelland:

I am requesting an Advisory Opinion as to whether ethical concerns
exist because a manager working for the Michigan Commission for the
Blind (MCB) also serves as a member of the New Horizons board, a
non-profit service organization.

The Commission is a public rehabilitation agency, located within the
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)
providing an array of services to individuals who are blind or
visually impaired, including vocational rehabilitation services,
independent living services for the older blind, youth low vision
services for visually impaired students in the K-12 system, as well as
our Business Enterprise Program (BEP), serving as the State Licensing
Agency (SLA) for blind entrepreneurs running food service facilities
on State and Federal properties.  MCB also operates a residential
Training Center in Kalamazoo, where students learn skills of blindness
to aid them on their path toward independence.

The Commission was created by Public Act 260 of 1978, and under the
statute the Commission board is comprised of five members appointed by
the Governor.  Each Commissioner serves for a 3 year term with at
least 3 of the 5 appointees being legally blind and each serves as a
voting member of the Board.

New Horizons is a nationally recognized, private, not-for-profit
rehabilitation agency providing vocational training and job placement
in Michigan since 1964 with a primary goal focused on preparing people
with disabilities for competitive employment and providing the
necessary skills for consumers to assume responsibility for their own
long-term success.  New Horizons works with referral and funding
sources to help make employment services more readily available and
accessible to persons with disabilities.

The ethics question which has prompted this request for an Advisory
Opinion centers on Ms. Gwen McNeal, the Manager of the Commission's
Detroit Office, who also serves as a New Horizons board member.  A
conflict of interest question has been raised by a commissioner, as
well as by one of two blind consumer organizations in the state, the
National Federation of the Blind (NFB) of Michigan in a resolution
adopted at the organization's state convention last November.  All
three commissioners are also NFB members, and the Commission's
vice-chair is also the President of NFB of Michigan.

Ms. McNeal was first appointed to the New Horizons Board in 2010 for a
one year term and reappointed in 2011 to a two year term, with the
verbal support and approval of her supervisor, Leamon Jones, MCB's
Director of Consumer Services.  Ms. McNeal contends that her service
on the board is not in conflict with her duties as MCB Southeast
Region Manager, asserting that at no time did she, as a board member,
vote on anything coming before the board related to financial
interactions, contractual arrangements or programmatic services with
the Commission.  She is strictly a volunteer, receiving no
compensation, meets on her own time and does not directly supervise
the 2 counselors who may choose with their consumers, to receive
services from New Horizons.  She also rejects, as false, the
contentions of the NFB resolution challenging her board service as a
conflict of interest.

In addition to the points raised in this letter you will also find
several attachments that may be helpful in formulating an opinion.
These attachments include the NFB Resolution 2011-08, excerpt from the
draft minutes of the December 9 MCB Commission meeting where the issue
was addressed, excerpt from the 2009 RSA Monitoring Report related to
New Horizons, New Horizons policy on conflict, New Horizons position
description for board members, several confidential sets of minutes
from New Horizons board meetings which Ms. McNeal has participated in
and finally, several threads of email correspondence regarding
conflict charges raised by Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr., a concerned citizen
and NFB member.

Is it a conflict of interest under the State Ethics Act, MCL 15.342,
for Gwen McNeal, a state employee and Manager of MCB's Southeast
Region, to continue to serve on the Board of New Horizons?  Thank you
for considering our request for an Advisory Opinion on these issues.
If you would like any additional information please contact me
directly at 335-4265.

Sincerely,

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CCE0D3.2ACC38D0]

Patrick D. Cannon

State Director
Name: Harcz FOIA request of 12 29 11 who works for whom here.txt