[nfbmi-talk] Colors Question

trising at sbcglobal.net trising at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 1 01:38:42 UTC 2012

Dear Federation Family:
    Since all of you were so helpful with my candle question, I thought I would pose another one. How do all of you understand and deal with color, as far as matching clothes. Please do not misunderstand me. I am sure I do not go around in unmatched things. However, the way I solve this is by having my mom or sister in law or a friend assist me with matching things together.  I put the pants over the bottom of the hanger, and put the sweater on the hanger like the hanger is wearing the shirt in the conventional fashion. Then, I make sure I know something tactual about the outfit so that I can always put it back together after washing. It might be a particular waistband on the pants, or the particular material that the sweater is made of. However, I would not mix things around because I would not know if they match. At one time, I had those metal color tags and used these with safety pins, but I do not really like them. They have many colors in the tags that I do not use, and too few of standard things like black and blue. Who has gold clothes for instance? The other reason I do not like them is that, since I have been blind from birth, and I know there are different shades of colors, having a tag on clothing does not really help me know what it goes with. My method of always wearing the same things together that I have had sighted assistance to put together seems the most safe. Mom has said that a few outfits could be interchanged, but when I do this she will inevitably say that the two things I chose do not go together. How do other totally blind people match, and more than that, how do you understand color enough to be able to make independent choices?

Terri Wilcox