[nfbmi-talk] 11 ys later still violates ada

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 01:29:27 UTC 2012

From: "Harcz-Flintadapt-nfb" <michiganadapt at peoplepc.com>
To: <newsomj at michigan.gov>
Subject: fia self eval ada request
Date: Thursday, April 04, 2002 2:13 PM

April 4, 2001

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI  48458

810-686-1316

E-mail: michiganadapt at peoplepc.com

www.education-rights.org

Re: Request for ADA, Title II Self Evaluation, And Effective Communications Policy

James Newsom

Family Independence Agency

ADA Coordinator

235 South Grand Ave.

Suite 1412

Lansing, MI 48909

517-373-8520

newsomj at michigan.gov

Also: Ms. Thiamm

hall-thiamm at michigan.gov

Dear Mr. Newsom and Ms. Thiamm,

As I discussed over the telephone today with Ms. Thiamm I am writing you to request in accessible format The Family Independence Agency and its subdivision's ADA, Title II Self Evaluation that was required to be conducted by January 26, 1993 by all state and local governmental entities (28.CFR, 35 (Title II), II-8.2000 Self-evaluation). It should be noted that implementation of an effective communications policy was required on the date implementing the ADA; title II regulations which was January 26, 1992.

 I am most concerned about your agency's means, methods and procedures for making visually delivered information such as forms, applications, brochures, program notices, consumer records available in accessible formats, a timely manner and based upon "primary consideration" to the blind and visually impaired as the regulations require (28.CFR, 35 (Title II), Subpart e, Communications).

You might also reference the following for general regulatory requirements:

"28 C.F.R., 35.160 General. (a) A public entity shall take appropriate steps to ensure that communications with applicants, participants, and members of

The public with disabilities are as effective as communications with others.

The self-evaluation must include a complete assessment of policies, procedures, and resources that will ensure that people with disabilities are not unlawfully

excluded, segregated, or restricted in any way as the result of communication barriers."

Precisely I would like to know the following:

*What documents and other delivery systems such as web sites does the agency use?

*What methods are used to make them accessible on an affirmative basis? To wit:

  1.. Is your web site fully accessible to users of screen reading technology or other adaptive devices?
  2..  are  the documents themselves accessible?

*What types of forms and other printed information  are made accessible prior to request in the following formats?

-large  print

-Braille

-computer diskette and/or e-mail attachments

-audio tape

-agency use of qualified readers

*Also would you list the means, methods and protocols for remitting the above information that is not affirmatively produced in a timely manner?

It should be noted that case law such as Tyler v. City of Manhattan (857 F. Supp. 800 (D. Kan.1994) (

requires that public entities must act affirmatively in these regards (1).

I have also been informed that many of your offices do not have raised character and Braille signage on every permanent room including room numbers as the Americans with Disabilities Act Access Guidelines (attached-2) require. In fact I've had occasion as a client to visit the state building in Flint, which your agency has several offices and raised character and Braille signage except on elevators and rest rooms is conspicuously absent.

For additional resources, citations and self-evaluation guides please feel free to use my web site: www. Education-rights.org. You may link to the U.S. Dept. of Justice's web site through my site as well and access statute, regulations and "action guides".

As a blind person I am of course requesting that any correspondences or the remission of requested information be remitted in accessible format. My only request at this time is to have all correspondences remitted as either Word or plain text attachments to my e-mail address listed above.

I sincerely hope that this request will help ensure that all blind and visually impaired persons in the State of Michigan can access the full range of services, programs, benefits and activities offered by your agency on equal and effective terms with the non-visually impaired.

If I can be of any assistance in helping your agency comply with both the letter and spirit of the law please do not hesitate to ask. I truly wish to get to the bottom line on a cooperative basis.

Finally, I would like to thank Ms. Thiamm for her courteous response to my inquiries on directory and other information in today's phone call.

Respectfully Submitted,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.