[nfbmi-talk] united front against state discrimination

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 17:51:08 UTC 2012

Are people who are blind “chopped liver”.

All, note the following story of hideous civil rights violations of the ADA, let alone common decency against a State Employee who uses a mobility device by another, non-disabled State Employee.

But also note the fact that the Cadillac Place which is basically our state of Michigan “central for Detroit also violates the program access requirements of the ADA which just turned 22 Thursday for all people who are blind or visually impaired as it does not have required raised character and Braille signs on EVERY permanent room including room numbers!

The offices of the Governor are in this building. So are offices of the Michigan commission for the Blind. So are Michigan Rehabilitation Services. And so is the Michigan Civil Rights Commission against whom I’ve already filed complaints.

By the way Michigan Commission for the Blind held its so-called State Plan Hearing in this same facility two days after the suit was filed violating the accessible hearings requirements of the ADA and Section 504.

The ADA and 504 are civil rights laws! Access for all is a civil right.

As one who has advocated for people with mobility impairments I also wish for the rights of the blind to be considered as well and for blatant, and malicious and intentional discrimination by state actors to be addressed and remedied for myself and the entire class.

People with mobility impairments need to join with the organized blind on these issues and visa versa.

This has been done on several occasions between NFB and ADAPT in Philadelphia.

It is time to do similar here in Michigan.

It is time for people with mobility impairments and people who are blind to join together in a common front to provide access for all to the programs, benefits, services and activities of the State of Michigan and to end the hideous discrimination by state officials against us all like the documented violations and abuse in the attached article.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Member: National Federation of the Blind of Michigan

Member: ADAPT MI