[nfbmi-talk] Fw: [Blindtlk] Thursday's Chat

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 20:25:36 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barbara Manuel" <b.manuel11 at att.net>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient: ;@smtp108.sbc.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 3:33 PM
Subject: Fw: [Blindtlk] Thursday's Chat

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Kelly
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:28 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: [Blindtlk] Thursday's Chat

In the field of orientation and mobility (O&M), no name holds more weight or
lends more prestige and credibility than that of Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder.
Fred was the first blind American to earn a master�s degree in one of the
old-line O&M university programs. He is extremely intelligent and highly
motivated. More remarkable are the facts and circumstances surrounding his
matriculation into the O&M program at San Francisco State University and his
subsequent efforts to become certified in the profession.

since professional certification was completely closed to all blind
candidates at the time of his graduation (discrimination against the blind
was rampant), Fred never received AAWB/AER [American Association of Workers
for the Blind/Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind]
professional certification, but, to give you, as Paul Harvey says, �the rest
of the story,� I would like to state here for the record that Dr. Fred
Schroeder is now a certified O&M instructor. It seemed only fitting that he
receive the very first National Orientation and Mobility Certification ever
presented by the National Blindness Professional Certification Board.

We have the honor of having Dr. Fred K. Schroder as our guest onPhone Faith
tonight, Thursday, June 7. To hear Fred’s fascinating story, join us. Simply
call 616.515.2970 and follow the prompts to room 7 at 7 pm central.

See you there!!