[nfbmi-talk] official board correspondence equipment inventory

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 17:03:27 UTC 2012

Official Board Correspondence Equipment Inventory

July 11, 2012

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

1365 E. Mt. Morris Rd.

Mt. Morris, MI 48458

joeharcz at comcast.net

Michigan Commission for the Blind Commissioners

And MCB Director Patrick D. Cannon c/o Sue Luzenski

(via e-mail)

Dear Commissioners, et al,

I bring your attention to the following segment related to Equipment Inventory in the MCB Report:

“Equipment Inventory

B E P is currently in the process of completing a full equipment inventory.  Inventory data collected variously over the past 18 months is inconsistent to the point the equipment database cannot be properly reconciled.  Consequently, the Program will enter, with departmental approval, into a contractual arrangement for the inventory to be completed by an independent contractor.  As of this writing, the Program is in the process of soliciting preliminary proposals to ascertain potential cost and potential contractor interest.  Also as of this writing, as the Program conducts incoming product inventories, it will also confirm the equipment inventory for that facility in preparation for the on-site contractual equipment inventory.””

Simply, how can this lack of ongoing  basic  accounting, let alone accountability be allowed to continue? Do we know where taxpayer funded equipment is or not? Further, isn’t this an ongoing responsibility of the Business enterprise Program staff including Administrators and Promotional Agents? Moreover, we all know these deficiencies in inventory control and management will be sited in the Michigan Auditor general’s report. Shouldn’t heads roll on these issues rather than the “glib” response that is made over and over again saying effectively, “We’re working on it?”

In this regards is the rumor true that for lack of “due diligence” in tracking and accounting for equipment inventory that a $7,000 snack machine was recently lost during the demolition of the Holt rest area? If true just who is accountable?

I suppose there will be some hand ringing on this and other excuses and then as per usual the agency will find a way to blame the operator or people like me for pointing out the obvious. But, no blame, let alone accountability will go to any agency staff.

I would like to see some real numbers here and real accounting, and fewer excuses.

Sincerely,

Paul Joseph Harcz, Jr.

Cc: RSA

Cc: several