[nfbmi-talk] Integrated employment

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Sat Jun 16 21:38:39 UTC 2012

We open up a can of worms on residential, non-integrated schools like the
school for the blind. Let me say this and only this on the issue:

I would prefer quality education in the mainstream for all blind kids. But,
in so many cases including ones I've seen recently the school for the blind
has been replaced in this county at least by basically non-integrated sped
schools, local residential schools that are very ill equipped to meet the
unique instructional needs of those students.

So, from a practical standpoint, and with all the ills of any residential
school I would never sacrifice basic core educaional opportunities over the
ersatz notion of mainstreaming for mainstreaming's sake.

As we know some of our blind kids get the resources and quality educators
they need and the next school district just screws them and passes them
along to the kids great detriment.

Tragic.

But, back to the fundamentals and of which you, I and Chris and all agree on
the sheltered shop issue, whether or not we work more for an integrated
pplacement we all agree that all who work deserve at least a minimum wage.
In fact I go a step further and think all who work deserve a living wage
disabled or not.

Peace,

Joe