[nfbmi-talk] integrated vs. segregated settings

Matt Sievert matt.sievert at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 05:28:44 UTC 2012

Fred,

One of the funnier, yet sad stories was in Missouri. When I first arrived
back in 1986. The local school district had no programs at all for me. So
they had me meet a special education teacher who was also blind. Both of us
were not sure what to do, but we talked, and eventually I helped him work
on some new curriculum to teach basic computer concepts to blind students.
Basic back in those days consisted of "This is a floppy disk", "this is a
keyboard". It was an interesting program. I remember both of us sitting at
one of my IEP meetings in high school and all the teachers were babbling
about this and that, and what if... I leaned over and we both agreed this
meeting was fairly pointless and all I got out of it was an extra period of
study hall. Since at the time that was the best they could offer.

That instructor has gone on to do some really great things in both the
blind world and in the world of Special Education. But back in 1986 in
Southwest Missouri. The services needed a lot of work.

1981 New York was not perfect either.
They would buy you all kinds of assistive tech and ask what you thought of
it. The biggest threat that I had, and come to find out other people had
is, if you said "no it was useless." Then you would fear they wouldn't buy
you anymore goodies. Eventually this came out between me and my VI
instructor. She found this very disconcerting but did agree in some
aspects.

What did come out of New York was the Schafer reading stand. The monocular
as a usable device, how to use a computer, books on tape from the RFB, and
a heck of a lot of OM training. OM training in the snow, rain, summer,
city, village, whatever. The state of New York was very determined back
then to make sure you learned how to get around and be a part of society.
>From asking for large print tests, to learning how to spend extra time in
the grocery store to pick out unwaxed dental floss, rather than waxed
dental floss. I failed that one several times.

The fall of 1984 in New York was the first place I was introduced to the
Apple Macintosh to write my papers on. Since you could get the text really
big. My VI teacher carried around the original mac in the beige bag and the
dot matrix printer that actually printed fonts, and every two days during
her weekly circuit of our small communities I got to use that computer
instead of the TRS-80's or the manual typewriter.

The school and local library arranged for a Kurzweil Reading Machine to be
brought up to our small village library. It was placed in a room with the
library's photo copier and other valuable electronics. I sat in that room
many days after school learning how to use that thing. Since the manuals
were very thick and of course back then the keypad it came with had no text
on it, since, why would blind people need to labels on the keys?
I was the only one who needed that machine in the community, and there it
sat in a room ready for me whenever I needed it. I learned how to use that
thing, and eventually went to some other workshops where I pointed out the
basics of how to use that device. My final conclusion was it was good for
large text books with few pictures, but sucked for small paperbacks because
you were always getting up and flipping the page, or the paperback would
simply slip off the giant scanner bed.

while in Missouri in 1987 I remember visiting the Kansas City school for
the blind for a parent workshop. The facility was old and while I hope the
work there was beneficial. It did not give me a sense of hope for those who
attended the facility. It was way less modern than the regular public
school I attended.

Things have come a long ways for blind folks in America, but there appears
to be a lot of work to be done on both sides.

I stopped attending blind events soon after college. I got tired of hearing
the same thing during each breakout session. A bunch of blind students
sitting around complaining about teachers, buses, readers, and the like. I
would try to give some advice, but the ongoing shouting and talking over
was beyond my patience. So I stopped attending them.

As I have aged I started looking for blind people to chat with and I
started with reading the NFB site and then joining my local chapter. Once I
moved to Michigan I found a fairly toxic environment when I attended the
state convention two years ago. Lots of bad things were going on. So bad
that at the time even the state's NewsLine service was not active. Which
was not a good sign.

I don't begin to understand what happened to make things so bad up here in
Michigan, but I know what my goals are while I am up here. I want to
continue working on my career goals and understanding the overall status of
both the folks helping the blind, and the blind reaching out looking for
opportunities to better themselves.

I saw the AT guys at the state convention two years ago and I was amazed.
They were using their iphones, and bluetooth keyboards, accessories that
any sighted person would have, but they were using them in a completely
different manner. It was amazing to see how mainstream products can be
readily accessible to every user.

Blind people need to know that until some type of miracle happens, which
probably involves unicorns and rainbows, they have to get up every morning,
get dressed, go to a job, any job, and live their lives knowing, that to
move out of their current situation they need to set goals and understand
that a minimum or even worse "sub-minimum" wage job is just the beginning
of their journey.

Once again thank you for your time and please have a good day and a
productive week.

Matt Sievert