[nfbmi-talk] Fw: Executive Order 2012-10

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Thu Jun 28 13:31:50 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry Eagle
To: 'joe harcz Comcast'
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 11:20 PM
Subject: Executive Order 2012-10

Below is the text and link to the Governor's press release of Executive Order 2012-10.

Snyder issues revised executive order to enhance services for people with disabilities

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

LANSING, Mich. - Following collaborative input from Michigan residents with disabilities,

Gov. Rick Snyder today issued

Executive Order 2012-10

 with changes that will better leverage expertise and resources to meet their needs.

Today's Executive Order transfers the duties of the Michigan Rehabilitation Services

to the Department of Human Services and reconfigures the Michigan Commission for

the Blind as the Bureau of Services to Blind Persons within the state Department

of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).

Snyder previously issued

Executive Order 2012-2

 last February, but it was rescinded in April

to work with advocates to ensure the best possible services for residents who are

blind or visually impaired.

 The new E.O. maintains two separate entities to address needs of people with disabilities

and keeps services to blind persons, including the Business Enterprise Program (BEP),

within LARA.

 Today's E.O. reflects the recommendations of federal and state advocates to provide

the best customer service and resources to Michigan citizens.

"After discussion and collaboration with disability advocacy groups and individuals

throughout Michigan, this executive order provides for efficient delivery of services

while, at the same time, addressing the specific concerns and suggestions of citizens,"

Snyder said. "I want to thank those who participated in this productive process to

ensure the very best services for Michigan residents with disabilities."

Richard Bernstein, an attorney and advocate for protecting the rights of people with

disabilities stated, "I thank the governor for his willingness to work with the blind

community and their advocates to address our concerns. By working together, we've

been able to ensure the continuation of essential services for the blind in Michigan."

One of the recommendations implemented in the executive order, and based on stakeholder

input, is assurance that BEP related to businesses on federal property and the Business

Opportunity Act will remain within LARA.

"We are pleased that the Governor and other involved officials have been very receptive

to our input," said

Joe Sibley, president of the Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired

. "I am confident when the dust settles that we will have fine services for the blind

and visually impaired in Michigan, and the amazing staff of the Commission for the

Blind will be able to continue the great work that they do."

The E.O. also appoints the director of the new Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

and Michigan Rehabilitation Services to serve as ex officio members of the newly-created

Michigan Council for Rehabilitation Services, which will include a range of individuals

with disabilities and advocacy groups. It also clarifies the requirement in the federal

regulations for the Talent Investment Board representative on the Michigan Council

for Rehabilitation Services.

The order also mandates an implementation date of Oct. 1, 2012 for all portions of

the order except matters related to the Disability Concerns Commission, whose transfer

to Department of Civil Rights takes effect 60 days after the order is filed. This

provides time for public meetings and amendments to the two new bureaus' state plans.

"

We appreciate the Governor's willingness to work openly with us in developing plans

to strengthen services for the blind," said Dr. Fredric K. Schroeder, first vice

president of the National Federation of the Blind. "In particular, we appreciate

his commitment to keeping these services within a single agency to ensure that programs

are coordinated and administered by individuals with specialized training and experience

in blindness.

"

Here is a link to the accessible format of the press release of Executive Order 2012-10.

http://www.michigan.gov/snyder/0,4668,7-277-57577_57657-281408--RSS,00.html

Below is the link to the untagged, inaccessible PDF format of Executive Order 2012-10.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/snyder/EO_2012-10_390709_7.pdf

TerryEagle