[nfbmi-talk] discussing a novel

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Wed May 9 04:17:19 UTC 2012

Say Miriam and all,

Did folks notice the breadth, and scope and the insides and the guts of one character, George Quinn, in "Cango's
Beads"

Man what a character he was bridging a gap between intellectual pseudo-historians, and journalists.

He set pins. He ran numbers amonst blacks in Albany, a white man without corruption, but only a machine within a machine in that dimension of this brilliant novel.

The descriptions of old George I find most touching being a sentimentalist myself along with, of course the aging beuty on his arm through ghetto firs, race riots and all that sort of thing, Vivian.

They held something callous against corruption. they or at least George held callous against his ever growing senile mind with a sort of elacraty that we'd all love to have.

At least I'd like to go out his way, and with that sort of spirit.

Vivian was my hero in this part of this complex novel, if only because she was what she was. She wanted more and gave all she had, even being white bread pudding and acting an againg "whore". she was old, and life left her lukewarm and fettering on the edge. Yet, Kennedy brought this person back to life, not on a resporator or other device except on the arm of a semi-senile old man, graceful under fire, and ever present if not in mind solid in contours, stolid in consequencens.

George Quinn could whisle. He could walk, so long as a long legged and lovely woman like the goodly dame Vivian could "walk him"/

He danced eeven before the dance of death was hinted for most of us.

Vivian and George were amonst if not my favorite characters of Kennedy's book.

I'm working my way towards thinking my way out of this morbidly beautiful stuff. For it is beautiful and invite all to join at this litarory feast.

It is delicious.

There is more tasty fair though than George and his lovely Vivian walking through race war chaous in Albany on the advent of Bobby Kennedy's assination.

Yet, their breif affair is only one tantalizing thing about this profound, yet simplistically derived novel to love. And the characters are loved too. At least by me.
When I love a character to the de[pth of a love of how I love my ownfather then something is said that needs not be further explained.

This is not just a good book.

It is a great book.