[nfbmi-talk] Fwd: FYI, editorial by Petoskey News-Review recommending that employers work with MCB

Larry Posont president.nfb.mi at gmail.com
Fri May 11 00:36:30 UTC 2012

You may remember last month's article in the Petoskey News-Review
about David Penfold, a consumer of Gaylord Rehabilitation Counselor
Julie Clark.  Below is an editorial by the Petoskey News-Review
stating that more businesses should work with the Michigan Commission
for the Blind.  The last sentence of the article states (quote), "We
applaud Vidosh North Landscaping for working with the Michigan
Commission for the Blind to help Penfold further his career, and we
encourage other businesses to take part in the program. (end quote)"
The link and complete article are below.

Susan Turney

Communications & Outreach Coordinator, Michigan Commission for the Blind

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

desk:  517-241-8631; cell: 517-243-3858; fax:  517-335-5140

MCB toll-free: 1-800-292-4200

201 N. Washington Square, Second Floor,

P.O. Box 30652; Lansing, MI 48909

www.michigan.gov/mcb<http://www.michigan.gov/mcb>

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/opinion/pnr-landscape-firm-commission-have-vision-to-help-gardener-grow-20120509,0,6937649.story

Our View

Landscape firm, commission have vision to help gardener grow

2:06 p.m. EDT, May 9, 2012

It could have been easy to dismiss David Penfold as a potential
employee - not because of his resume, but because of what he has lost.

Penfold, 56, has been a gardener for nearly 30 years, including 15
years as the head gardener at the famous Grand Hotel on Mackinac
Island.

With no formal training in horticulture, all of Penfold's experience
came from on-the-job experience.

"I was always told I would never make it, but I've always been up for
a challenge - that's just me," Penfold said.

After leaving the hotel to work in Harbor Springs, closer to his aging
parents, Penfold developed relationships with many clients in the
area. One client even called him Johnny Appleseed, saying he can make
anything grow.

But then Penfold's world was turned upside down.

Last May, Penfold drove to work one morning. By the end of the day, he
had to have someone drive him home. Within just a few hours, Penfold
had lost his eyesight to glaucoma, a disease he didn't even know he
had.

But he wasn't going to give up; after all, Penfold is always up for a challenge.

With the help of the Michigan Commission for the Blind, Penfold began
looking for work as a gardener, a career he refused to give up.

The commission helps rehabilitate, train and find jobs for the legally
blind, based on their skill set. With some help, Penfold came across
an opening at Vidosh North Landscaping in Petoskey.

Owner Don Vidosh Jr. was impressed with Penfold's resume, and didn't
hesitate to bring him in. Penfold joined the Vidosh team in March.

"(David) knows what the plans are and he can understand what the
plants and sizes are," Vidosh explained. "I'm not strong at the same
things he is, so he's filling in the weaknesses."

Without the help of the Michigan Commission for the Blind, it would
have been difficult for Penfold to continue in his career as a
gardener. The commission helped supply him with special binoculars and
a monitor to help him read site plans. They also pay for his training
and will continue to work with him for a year.

Penfold didn't give up, and while he still has rough days, he's moving
forward in his career despite his disability.

Vidosh said his hope is that more businesses work with the Michigan
Commission for the Blind to help the legally blind find jobs that
match their skill sets.

"I can't imagine him not being here," Vidosh said of Penfold. "I think
this is a great program for any business."

And we agree.