[nfbmi-talk] FW: More on Self-Driven Cars Oh how I want one!

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Fri May 25 02:33:36 UTC 2012

From: Vickie Rolison [mailto:rolisonv at yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:12 PM
To: Undisclosed-Recipient: ;@smtp110.prem.mail.ac4.yahoo.com
Subject: More on Self-Driven Cars Oh how I want one!

self-driven cars

SACRAMENTO (Reuters) - California took a step toward becoming the

second state in the nation to allow self-driven cars on its roads on

Monday, as the state Senate unanimously agreed to allow autonomously

driven vehicles such as those pioneered by Google.

Google's self-driving cars have already crossed the Golden Gate Bridge

and driven along the picturesque Pacific Coast Highway, according to

the company, which has taken California lawmakers on test drives.

"I had the pleasure of going out for a drive on the autonomous

vehicle," California state Senator Alan Lowenthal said before the

unopposed vote. "I have to say that there are some still issues with

it, but it's a better driver than I am."

The California bill, which passed in a 37-0 vote, will now go to the

state Assembly for consideration before heading to the desk of Governor

Jerry Brown. If passed and signed, it would go into effect in January 2013.

Google's self-driven cars rely on video cameras, radar sensors, lasers,

and a database of information collected from manually driven cars to

help navigate, according to the company, which pioneered the

experimental technology in 2010.

"This technology is coming," Senator Alex Padilla, the bill's sponsor,

said on the Senate floor. "We've got to embrace the technology and

embrace the benefit that comes with it, but do so in a way that abides

by the safety requirements and regulations of our roads."

Padilla, Lowenthal and other state Senators test-rode autonomous

vehicles before voting on the legislation.

"When it's you in that drivers seat, and you engage the autonomous

technology, take your hands off the wheel and foot off the pedal, it's

not until then that you appreciate how sophisticated the technology

is," Padilla said after the vote, adding that the unanimous bipartisan

support is a good indication of smooth sailing through the Assembly.

The Nevada legislature was the first to authorize self-driving cars

last year. The measure went into effect in March and in May, the

state's Department of Motor Vehicles issued an autonomous vehicle

license for a Toyota Prius that Google had modified.

Arizona, Hawaii, Florida and Oklahoma are also considering autonomous

vehicles legislation. Other automakers are working on similar

self-driven car technology.

(Reporting by Mary Slosson; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Leslie Gevirtz)